I need a new washing machine

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

I need a new washing machine

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm asking for recommendations for a heavy duty washing machine. To say I get my clothes dirty is a massive understatement. My last machine was a front loader that worked great for a year or so but now won't wash more than 3 pairs of jeans without shutting down, It has lots of problems. Any recommendations?
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: I need a new washing machine

Postby ez14. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Don't wash more then 3 pairs of jeans and your good to go! :mrgreen:
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:00 pm

27 yr old Kenmore is still going strong. Sister-in-law is on her 6th different brand in about 35 years.
I believe in not over loading a machine. She's more of gitter all in there in one load and gitter done.
2 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Front loaders are for city folks with clean jobs.

Go find an older used Kennmore HD top loader without all the electronics.
Mine's about 6 years old..maybe 8 years old & will handle 6 pair of muddy greasy wranglers easy.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 pm

Either go Speed Queen or buy the cheapest one you can find. For the price difference, I could go through 5 cheap ones before the Speed Queen would pay for itself, so it was a no-brainer.

Last one was a 20 year old Kenmore, but nothing is Kenmore-quality anymore. All the water-saving circuit board technology in them has made them into a big throwaway item.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:51 pm

greybeard wrote:Front loaders are for city folks with clean jobs.

I Don't know what brand our old front load was but I guarantee you it would wash what ever you could shove into it! It was way better then any top load! When we switched to a top load it was kinda hard to get used to because with the front load we never had to worry about over filling it we could pack as much stuff as we possibly could in there then use the door as a big packer to get a little more. But with the top load if you put to much in the stuff on top doesn't even get wet.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 am

We have a Samsung front loader.. it gets lots of dirty jobs, works well, direct drive so it's quiet, never seems to spin out of balance.. sure doesn't matter to us, but it's energy and water saving.. we only use it cold water and it does a good job.. Had it about 8 years now.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 am

ez14. wrote:

I Don't know what brand our old front load was but I guarantee you it would wash what ever you could shove into it! It was way better then any top load! When we switched to a top load it was kinda hard to get used to because with the front load we never had to worry about over filling it we could pack as much stuff as we possibly could in there then use the door as a big packer to get a little more. But with the top load if you put to much in the stuff on top doesn't even get wet.

So I guess the old front loader you got rid of is still going strong somewhere and you just switched because you were tired of being able to stuff all those clothes in it?
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 am

My wife bought a new washer about 5 years ago. It was to replace a 23-year-old Kenmore that still worked great. My parents replaced a Kenmore freezer a few years ago that was over 40 years old. I still ran and worked great, but the top was beginning to rust.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 am

I would go with the biggest and cheapest Kenmore or GE you can find. I really don’t understand all the new technology in washers in dryers. All they really need to do is clean and dry clothes. Whats the advantages of being able to see the clothes spinning around in there? One knob and a start button is all they should have, no need for a mini computer on a washer or dryer. We bought a GE set a few years ago I couldn’t believe some of the options and prices on these things. Think I spent $700-800 total for a washer and dryer. My clothes come clean and get pretty dirty. The older I get the less I understand all the fancy stuff though, heard a guy at work say he bought a frig with a small tv and a built in kuerig coffee maker. I wonder if it keeps his food cold too.
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:53 am

greybeard wrote:
ez14. wrote:

So I guess the old front loader you got rid of is still going strong somewhere and you just switched because you were tired of being able to stuff all those clothes in it?

No it finally quite on us and the repair man (same guy my parents bought it from) couldn't get parts anymore (it was getting really old) but the washer was an old laundromat washer (still had the coin slot though we had a bypass button)
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:25 am

I'm in a Cattle Woman's group on Facebook and this was the topic of a recent post. The majority said Speed Queen is by far the best for heavy duty cleaning.
1 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 am

Get a top loader with an agitator. Those actually get clothes clean.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 am

I have a GE front loader pair, candy apple red.....Will wash anything I shove into it. I think I've had around 15 pairs of jeans in it at once... And not only does my husband get his clothes filthy, but I do too...no city clothes in this house.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texas Gal » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 am

Speed Queen.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”