Ancestry

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Ancestry

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm

M-5 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Maybe. You are making a big asumption here graybeard...

That's a good point, but I am happy to report that none of the individuals were directly related to their spouses.

3 brothers married 3 sisters here , there was not alot to choose from back then. My grandfather married my grand mother he was 16 and she was 15. I have a bunch of double first cousins. When my dad was young his first cousin (same genetics) were often confused as twins. this year my granddaughter called him papa until he said something and she realized it wasnt her PAPA .

Lot of double first cousins in our bunch as well. As Dad said your dating circle was mule riding distance.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Double first cousins, the closest thing to being brothers and sisters.your right about the mule riding distance..back then if you didn't want
to court a cousin,you had to travel some..the whole community was related...best thing to happen was the invention of the automobile... Always wondered why i have a unibrow and a overshot jaw :cowboy:
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 am

3 brothers married 3 sisters here , there was not alot to choose from back then. My grandfather married my grand mother he was 16 and she was 15. I have a bunch of double first cousins. When my dad was young his first cousin (same genetics) were often confused as twins. this year my granddaughter called him papa until he said something and she realized it wasnt her PAPA .[/quote]

That explains your tolerance for heat.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Read the fine print on all those genetic tests. Your DNA results become theirs and they can sell the results as they see fit. Think of applying for health insurance and the carrier says sorry you have xyz chromosome and are more at risk for cancer or heart disease so we won't give you insurance. Just a warning.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 am

Forebears.io is kind of a cool website, you can search your surnames prevelance. According to them there are 4129 people in the world sharing my surname. It even shows a colour coded map of the world indicating where the name is more common.
Last edited by Silver on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:12 am

Silver wrote:Forbears.io is kind of a cool website, you can search your surnames prevelance. According to them there are 4129 people in the world sharing my surname. It even shows a colour coded map of the world indicating where the name is more common.

We are a little more rare at 266 according to the site.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:Double first cousins, the closest thing to being brothers and sisters.your right about the mule riding distance..back then if you didn't want
to court a cousin,you had to travel some..the whole community was related...best thing to happen was the invention of the automobile... Always wondered why i have a unibrow and a overshot jaw :cowboy:

Several factors. People were more bashful. Also a brother brings his wife in to the family, she starts playing match maker. Little sister comes for a visit and little brother-in-law takes notice.

There were entire families that migrated together in the 1700's. 4 soldiers actually until one passed in Georgia and then there were three plus the descendants. Some held over in Mississippi. Some held over in northern Louisiana for a lady to give birth and many wound up settling. Eventually most wound up in Troup, TX, with descendants from all four families. Chasing my roots gives me ties to three of the families that started in NC on my maternal side.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 am

What you're saying Boogie is that incest is ok as long as you keep it in the family.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 pm

TexasBred wrote:What you're saying Boogie is that incest is ok as long as you keep it in the family.

It worked well for my Acadians. 5th cousins married etc. I'm not sure they even knew they were kin back then. But they were catholic with extensive records in the church. Records of godfathers etc. Someone knew his ggrandfather was also her gggrandfather.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
TexasBred wrote:What you're saying Boogie is that incest is ok as long as you keep it in the family.

It worked well for my Acadians. 5th cousins married etc. I'm not sure they even knew they were kin back then. But they were catholic with extensive records in the church. Records of godfathers etc. Someone knew his ggrandfather was also her gggrandfather.

I actually know a couple younger than I who share the same gggrandparents. The gggrandparents had a slew of kids, so the descendants still occasionally have family reunions centered around them. For me, it’s a little creepy that both could attend that family reunion because they’re both kinfolks. :shock:

Cousins are sometimes a peculiar thing. I have some 3rd cousins that I feel closer to that my 1st cousins, and I certainly consider them “close family.” When I was growing up, I was always quick to let people know “we are cousins.” On the other hand, I have some 3rd cousins that I am aware of, but I certainly don’t feel like family, and I have some 3rd cousins that I’ve never met.
2 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:

The average person has 17,500 fifth cousins.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:36 pm

At one time with DNA work, they had everyone traced back to the "7 daughters of Eve". It seems they are up to "19 daughters of Eve" now. Essentially every human goes back to one of these "daughters of Eve".

So you are inbred too TexasBred.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Here's a link and a bit of info if anyone is interested : There are many more sources beside wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven ... ers_of_Eve

Sykes wrote in the book that there were seven major mitochondrial lineages for modern Europeans, though he subsequently wrote that with the additional data from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe, Ulrike (see below) could have been promoted to be the eighth clan mother for Europe.[2]
Others have put the number at 10,[3] 12[4] or even 18.[5] These additional "daughters" generally include haplogroups I, M and W.[6] For example, a 2004 paper re-mapped European haplogroups as H, J, K, N1, T, U4, U5, V, X and W.[3]. Richards, Macaulay, Torroni and Bandelt include I, W and N1b as well as Sykes' '7 daughters' within their 2002 pan-european survey (but - illustrating how complex the question can be - also separate out pre-V, HV1 and pre-HV1, and separate out U to include U1, U2, U3, U4 and U7 as well as U5). [7]
Likewise, Sykes has invented names for an additional 29 "clan mothers" worldwide (of which four were native American, nine Japanese[8] and 12 were from Africa[9]), each corresponding to a different haplogroup identified by geneticists: "Fufei, Ina, Aiyana/Ai, Yumi, Nene, Naomi, Una, Uta, Ulrike, Uma, Ulla, Ulaana, Lara, Lamia, Lalamika, Latasha, Malaxshmi, Emiko, Gaia, Chochmingwu/Chie, Djigonasee/Sachi, Makeda, Lingaire, Lubaya, Limber, Lila, Lungile, Latifa and Layla."[10]
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

herofan wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:

I actually know a couple younger than I who share the same gggrandparents. The gggrandparents had a slew of kids, so the descendants still occasionally have family reunions centered around them. For me, it’s a little creepy that both could attend that family reunion because they’re both kinfolks. :shock:

Cousins are sometimes a peculiar thing. I have some 3rd cousins that I feel closer to that my 1st cousins, and I certainly consider them “close family.” When I was growing up, I was always quick to let people know “we are cousins.” On the other hand, I have some 3rd cousins that I am aware of, but I certainly don’t feel like family, and I have some 3rd cousins that I’ve never met.
ive got cousins that I've sat talked to,that I didn't even know were cousins, till later..one till after he was dead..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:43 pm

When I was around 16 or so we stopped at a gas station and I walked in to get some drinks and took note of a pretty girl in there. We were standing in line and I started chatting her up. We both walked out and back to our vehicles. I noticed we both took off the same way. Long story short short... when we both pulled in to the same family reunion #### got real. :lol: She was my mom's, 1st cousin's, daughter.

In my early 20s I was at a wedding and noticed a girl eyeing me on the dance floor. When she got done she came over and we started talking with some other people standing there. Long story short, again... another cousin. :oops:

I have made it a point to know my family a lot better now.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”