Ham theft..............

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Ham theft..............

Postby jltrent » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:16 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... ar-BBN9aXd

Ohio grocery store employee facing felony theft charges for eating $9,200 of deli ham

The unnamed employee worked in Bolivar at the grocery chain Giant Eagle for eight years – during that time authorities say she helped herself to three to five slices of ham every day, totaling $9,200 in lost revenue. Authorities say she would also sometimes eat salami.

The Associated Press reports that the store’s loss prevention manager received a tip that the employee had been eating the meat slices for years.

The woman is facing potential felony theft charges, however, Tuscarawas County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement on Facebook that “felony charges are unlikely.”

“While our office did take a report of the issue as requested by the store, no determination of charges has been made. The procedure is to send the report to the Prosecutor’s Office and they are the ones to decide.

“While my office does not have the authority to make the final decision in this case, I do feel confident that once all of the facts are relayed to the Prosecutor, Felony charges are unlikely,” the statement read before adding that no arrests and “no formal filing of charges” had happened.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Ham theft..............

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Reckon Sky has enough hams in his smokehouse to keep her satisfied :lol2: :hide:
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 pm

jltrent wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/ohio-grocery-store-employee-facing-felony-theft-charges-for-eating-dollar9200-of-deli-ham/ar-BBN9aXd

eight years – during that time authorities say she helped herself to three to five slices of ham every day, totaling $9,200 in lost revenue.

4 slices @ 1.5 oz each = 6 oz x 5 days = 30 oz or 1.875 lbs week x 52 wks = 97.5 lbs yr x 8 yrs = 780 lbs
$9,200 div by 780 = $11.79 lb for ham :bs:

Unless the store sold out of ham each and every day there was no lost revenue.
IF store paid $3.00 lb for the 780 lbs of deli ham. 780 lbs x $3 = $2,340 of stolen property or $304 ham stolen per year.

Store manager inflated the loss.
In property loss cases, replacement value not retail price is the correct accounting practice.
Property loss really was 780 lbs of deli ham stolen with an estimated value of $2,340 not $9,200.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:09 am

p.s.
IF you ever find yourself in a "You Broke It, You Bought It" store situation....
Ask for the invoice and pay the item's replacement cost.
OR let them take you to court and judge will rule for the replacement cost as the owner is entitled to be reimbursed
for Actual Damages Incurred (to be made whole) not retail value.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 am

i'm not sure how they can prove she ate the ham for all those days.

oh yea.. its the new.. "I TOLD ON THEM.. ITS THE GOSPEL" days..

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:15 am

Snitches get stitches, then end up in ditches

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 am

There has to more to the story and another reason they are trying to get her. EVERY deli worker eats a piece of ham, turkey , roast beef every day. we used to give the customer a sample piece of every thing we were slicing for them. Deli's avg 40% GP after shrink .
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 am

If they knew she was eating ham for eight years and did nothing, why the problem now? Probably new management and policies, but I see this getting thrown out, but from now on an employee there had better not eat one berry.
Last edited by jltrent on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Reckon Sky has enough hams in his smokehouse to keep her satisfied :lol2: :hide:

:lol:
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Txpiney wrote:Snitches get stitches, then end up in ditches

That's one mean Momma ham eater.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm

jltrent wrote:If they knew she was eating ham for eight years and did nothing, why the problem now? Probably new management and policies, but I see this getting thrown out, but from now on an employee there had better not eat one berry.

prove she ate ham every day for those 8 years too! I mean other than someone saying she did... In court that's the argument I'd make
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Nesikep wrote:
jltrent wrote:If they knew she was eating ham for eight years and did nothing, why the problem now? Probably new management and policies, but I see this getting thrown out, but from now on an employee there had better not eat one berry.

prove she ate ham every day for those 8 years too! I mean other than someone saying she did... In court that's the argument I'd make

I'm pretty sure there is proof. I bet ya a beeper goes off when she backs up.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:13 pm

I could easily eat that much ham and not gain an ounce
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm

M-5 wrote:
Nesikep wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is proof. I bet ya a beeper goes off when she backs up.

:lol2:
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 pm

I think after while ham would get old and I would try a few slices of some thing else, has to be some roast beef in the case some where.