Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
jltrent
GURU
GURU

Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Postby jltrent » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm

http://www.kezi.com/content/news/Missin ... 90611.html

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office says a dead hiker was likely killed by a cougar, marking the first verified fatal attack by a wild cougar in Oregon.

A medical examiner said Tuesday 55-year-old Diana Bober's body had injuries consistent with an attack by a cougar.

DNA samples are being flown by the Oregon State Police to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service laboratory in Ashland for further analysis.

Bober's body was found Monday in the Mount Hood National Forest in Welches, about 40 miles southeast of Portland.

She was reported missing Sept. 7. Her car was later found at the Zigzag Ranger Station several miles away.

Bober, of Gresham, was an avid hiker who often trekked in the Mount Hood and Columbia River Gorge areas.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cougar Killed a Woman in Oregon.

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:27 pm

I hate this. Tragic and unnecessary. But why do people refuse to heed warnings and take necessary precautions? I don’t live on the west coast. And I don’t hike. But I know you shouldn’t hike alone. Especially a woman. Women are targets for more types of predators than their male counterparts. Sad result.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:23 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I hate this. Tragic and unnecessary. But why do people refuse to heed warnings and take necessary precautions? I don’t live on the west coast. And I don’t hike. But I know you shouldn’t hike alone. Especially a woman. Women are targets for more types of predators than their male counterparts. Sad result.

A friend of mine’s mother was murdered hiking alone. It doesn’t make sense why people do it.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 pm

The fatal cougar attacks this year in both Washington and Oregon might have something to do with the city people passing laws outlawing hound hunting for cougars. The cougar population has absolutely exploded over the last 15 or so years. The Oregon Dept of Wildlife said yesterday that there are about 5,000 cougars in the state. That is over triple what it was a few years ago.
1 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:45 pm

Way more hikers are killed from falls than animals of any type. I've come upon the scene of a recent elk kill by a cougar; had a grizz follow me back down the trail in Glacier 3 yrs ago; got seriously sick and got helicoptered out 20 mi from the trailhead; slid straight down the mountain on a thin skim of snow and almost bought it. (Yeah I'm a klutz). In none of these instances was I solo. But yeah, you have a narrower margin of error solo.
I'm glad most people never leave their couches. You get a mile in and the people hiking in flip flops and tennies peter out, and you have the wilderness to yourself. (Plus a few critters). Have hiked many hundreds of km and seen places I wish everyone could see, for even a minute. Truly humbling.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 am

true or fake, that had to suck:
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=a6e_1313593204
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:25 am

greybeard wrote:true or fake, that had to suck:

Yes it did. That’s awful.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:30 am

boondocks wrote:Way more hikers are killed from falls than animals of any type. I've come upon the scene of a recent elk kill by a cougar; had a grizz follow me back down the trail in Glacier 3 yrs ago; got seriously sick and got helicoptered out 20 mi from the trailhead; slid straight down the mountain on a thin skim of snow and almost bought it. (Yeah I'm a klutz). In none of these instances was I solo. But yeah, you have a narrower margin of error solo.
I'm glad most people never leave their couches. You get a mile in and the people hiking in flip flops and tennies peter out, and you have the wilderness to yourself. (Plus a few critters). Have hiked many hundreds of km and seen places I wish everyone could see, for even a minute. Truly humbling.

I agree but the heck with walking when you can fly, I charter a plane or helicopter everywhere we go just so I can see the land. And by the way flying around MT Rainier is second only to landing on a lake in Alaska so my son could take a leak of the pontoon with a momma grizzly and two cubs feeding on the shoreline. This is a beautiful country.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 am

JMJ Farms wrote:

A 40 cal Glock sure would of been handy. :nod:
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Yes it would have.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:Way more hikers are killed from falls than animals of any type. I've come upon the scene of a recent elk kill by a cougar; had a grizz follow me back down the trail in Glacier 3 yrs ago; got seriously sick and got helicoptered out 20 mi from the trailhead; slid straight down the mountain on a thin skim of snow and almost bought it. (Yeah I'm a klutz). In none of these instances was I solo. But yeah, you have a narrower margin of error solo.

I agree but the heck with walking when you can fly, I charter a plane or helicopter everywhere we go just so I can see the land. And by the way flying around MT Rainier is second only to landing on a lake in Alaska so my son could take a leak of the pontoon with a momma grizzly and two cubs feeding on the shoreline. This is a beautiful country.

I had some friends who were flying by Mt Rainier and decided to take a closer look. That was a fatal decision. I have flown with a bunch of Alaskan bush pilots. A couple of those I flew with put a plane into the side of a mountain, flipped while landing on a lake, etc and are no longer with us. Life is dangerous.
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 am

Allegedly, this is a recording of a bear attack. Different people, but not very pleasant. I can think of better ways to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXN2XPMjoY
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Yes, and I think if there were multiple bears, it's one of those very very few times I might be tempted to save the last round for myself.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am

Another reason to avoid Russia.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:14 am

Stocker Steve wrote:

Another reason to avoid Russia.

A few years back there was a young gal working for US Geological Survey in Alaska. She was eaten alive by a black bear. She radioed for help and was pleading her case as the bear was eating her.
Having worked in Alaska in big bear country I ain't packing no Glock 40. When able to I packed a little Sako 375 H&H or a 12 ga. When work didn't allow for packing a long gun I had a S&W Model 29 which is 44 mag with hand loads loaded as hot as we could make them...... and I felt under gunned.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”