Pork prices going up in my area

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Pork prices going up in my area

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:I wonder if the NC floods have anything to do with the market change?

I doubt it it's not like we had alot of loss yet
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
mwj wrote:Cheap hogs here have filled all of the locker bookings. If you home kill you are OK, but you will have a very hard time getting a custom kill. Deer season opens soon and that will make things even more hectic.

Breaking down a hog is pretty easy

That I have done - a lot. It is curing ham and bacon that I don't know how to do.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
mwj wrote:Cheap hogs here have filled all of the locker bookings. If you home kill you are OK, but you will have a very hard time getting a custom kill. Deer season opens soon and that will make things even more hectic.

Breaking down a hog is pretty easy

That I have done - a lot. It is curing ham and bacon that I don't know how to do.

I think you all are a lot warmer there so curing a country ham would be hard without a cool place. Bacon can be done in the fridge pretty easy though. You can do city hams in a 5 gallon bucket if there not huge and can get it in a cooler or fridge.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm

We have a couple of "utility" refrigerators. I wrap deer quarters is a sheet for a couple of days before I cut it up. They go in one of those refrigerators. Putting a ham or three in wouldn't be a problem.

I could probably get on U-Tube and sort it out. Problem is the person doing the teaching could be an idiot. You see that all the time with various projects.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm

I would like to know the trick of the trade.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 pm

An old man told me once that he was going to teach me to sugar cure a ham. He said sugar cure was much better eating than salt cure. The old fellow passed on before I learned. I used to go help him cut 150 or so pigs when the time was right. All I really did was catch and hold back then.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:An old man told me once that he was going to teach me to sugar cure a ham. He said sugar cure was much better eating than salt cure. The old fellow passed on before I learned. I used to go help him cut 150 or so pigs when the time was right. All I really did was catch and hold back then.

Sugar cure isn't really a thing what he was speaking of is adding sugar as part of the curing ingredients. I do that I'll send you a good link that is basically what I do. Do you have a smoker or smoke house?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:39 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:I would like to know the trick of the trade.

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/458/458-223/458-223.html
1 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:39 am

Those piglets have a lot of energy. I tried to count them until I got dizzy and gave up.

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:26 pm

jltrent wrote:Those piglets have a lot of energy. I tried to count them until I got dizzy and gave up.

:lol2: :lol2: I guess that's how they keep the fat off todays hogs
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:31 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:An old man told me once that he was going to teach me to sugar cure a ham. He said sugar cure was much better eating than salt cure. The old fellow passed on before I learned. I used to go help him cut 150 or so pigs when the time was right. All I really did was catch and hold back then.

Sugar cure isn't really a thing what he was speaking of is adding sugar as part of the curing ingredients. I do that I'll send you a good link that is basically what I do. Do you have a smoker or smoke house?

Sugar cure here had more steps of processing but they started with salt mix for a certain # of days and shifted to sugar after washing the meat. I prefer the sugar cured, too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Sugar cure here had more steps of processing but they started with salt mix for a certain # of days and shifted to sugar after washing the meat. I prefer the sugar cured, too.

Nothing like a good old cured ham on a buttermilk biscuit with some apple sauce or fried apples scrambled eggs
3 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Nothing like a good old cured ham on a buttermilk biscuit with some apple sauce or fried apples scrambled eggs

For Sure.......good pork is like fine whiskey. Ain't never sold for what it's worth. :cowboy:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:35 pm

0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:14 pm

ga.prime wrote:https://www.inquisitr.com/5100359/a-bottle-of-scotch-whisky-just-sold-for-1-1-million/

buy a bottle I will come drink it with you
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”