Skunk

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Skunk

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Dave wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Dave, you’ve put a lot of thought into this before haven’t you :lol2:

I don't know about putting a lot of though. But I have caught lots of skunks back when I ran a long line for coyotes. Catch a skunk in a foothold trap, shoot it, and it sprays every time. People knew I trapped and would ask me to catch one around their house. Some other trapper explained this method to me. It works. It is best to weight down the edges of the tarp so the gas doesn't escape.

What did you use for bait?

Kind of depended. If it was robbing cat food I would use that. I had good luck with fishy things. Tuna usually worked. A variety of things I used for coyotes but those would be in bigger batches than most people would need. A favorite was one third sardines, one third lard, and one third blue cheese. Melt the lard and run all three together through a blender. The biggest thing is location. You want the trap set where the skunk normally travels.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Nesikep wrote:if you get it in a trap I'd shoot through the trap with a .22 and blow is head off

Do that and I guarantee it will spray. If you must shoot one use a low power load. CB caps work. Shoot it in the lungs. Stay low when dealing with them. There biggest natural enemy are Great Horned Owls. Things from above tend to scare them.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 pm

perhaps try and trap it away from the house.. if it sprays at least you nor the house are too close
sure glad we don't have any here
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am

I was always taught that a skunk couldn't spray if it couldn't get its tail up in the air. One Sunday morning I had the opportunity to find out as we were called to a rabid skunk in the backyard. I was able to get into a position to shoot down on the skunk's tail with 00 buck and it never had a chance to raise it. There was a slight smell but nothing like a spray.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am

Dave wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
Dave wrote:
I don't know about putting a lot of though. But I have caught lots of skunks back when I ran a long line for coyotes. Catch a skunk in a foothold trap, shoot it, and it sprays every time. People knew I trapped and would ask me to catch one around their house. Some other trapper explained this method to me. It works. It is best to weight down the edges of the tarp so the gas doesn't escape.

What did you use for bait?

Kind of depended. If it was robbing cat food I would use that. I had good luck with fishy things. Tuna usually worked. A variety of things I used for coyotes but those would be in bigger batches than most people would need. A favorite was one third sardines, one third lard, and one third blue cheese. Melt the lard and run all three together through a blender. The biggest thing is location. You want the trap set where the skunk normally travels.

Gracias. We have a bounty on them at work
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”