How many times?

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

How many times?

Postby snoopdog » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:36 pm

How many times does someone have to lie to you, before you quit trusting them?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: How many times?

Postby jltrent » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 pm

snoopdog wrote:How many times does someone have to lie to you, before you quit trusting them?

Some people lie so much I believe they start believing their on lies. If somebody straight out tells me a lie to my face and I know and they know it is a lie from now on what they say will not be the same. I have worked with a couple like that before.
6 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm

It depends on the nature and/or circumstances of the lie. It might be prudent to lie if it creates more good than harm.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:27 pm

snoopdog wrote:How many times does someone have to lie to you, before you quit trusting them?

Once.

Because if they've done it once, that I found out about, there's a pretty good chance it wasn't their first time.
5 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:08 pm

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:22 pm

If someone cheats on their spouse are they trustworthy in the business world.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:06 pm

Good question Snoop... I feel you are going to g somewhere with your initial question
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm

cowboy43 wrote:If someone cheats on their spouse are they trustworthy in the business world.

This is an interesting question. The difference between ethics and morals and observing the occasions in which the 2 overlap. I have known some very ethical business folks, but in their personal lives, werent much in the realm of fidelity. Have also known a few faithfully married types that would screw you to the wall in a business transaction without hesitation. It's fascinating to observe an individuals values, mores, beliefs and how they're challenged in various situations. The human experiment/experience.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:

Once.

Because if they've done it once, that I found out about, there's a pretty good chance it wasn't their first time.

My trust erodes very rapidly as well.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:42 am

the media lies to people every single minute but yet most still "absorb" anything they tell you.

durp
2 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:22 am

I have to agree it depends on the person & situation.
I have a step daughter that lies so much, even about inconsequential things, I'm convinced she believes as soon as it comes out of her mouth it's the gospel truth & I don't trust a word she says.
"No, those jeans don't make your butt look big" or "I love your new haircut" may be flat out lies but kinder than the truth, no harm done or consequences to suffer.
I have lied by omission by changing the subject when an acquaintance asked me if I saw her husband out with another woman. I don't know either very well, none of my business, didn't want to get involved.
If someone lies to me in a business situation, the transaction or future endeavors are severed.
If someone close to me lies I consider their motives & proceed with caution. If they do it again the relationship is damaged. If they continue to lie the relationship is beyond repair.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am

ddd75 wrote:the media lies to people every single minute but yet most still "absorb" anything they tell you.

durp

My fine neighbor.

Obviously, information presented by radio, television, newspaper, journal, or internet is composed, edited and scripted to be persuasive in a way that the outlet desires.

You have posted links to media information in your posts. I assume you find it simple to determine which reports are lies and which are truths. No way a man of your character would let his biases, beliefs and political inclinations influence his objectivity.

My compliments!
5 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 am

A flat out lie..... one time. Just BS or stretching the truth for the sake of a good story doesn't worry me unless it is every time. I do have one daughter whom you can tell if she is telling a lie, her lips are moving. Sad to say but if she told me the sky is blue I wouldn't believe her.
1 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 am

How many times will people listen to the same lie over and over and get to the point of believing it.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:18 pm

hurleyjd wrote:

How many times will people listen to the same lie over and over and get to the point of believing it.

Apparently only 8 years.
6 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”