Someone is Sending a Message

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Someone is Sending a Message

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Coosh71 wrote:Raven I'm not talking Dem/Rep. I just don't feel the budget was balanced when you take all the money from the grocery acct and put it in the new cattle acct. Ranch looks good but the fridge is empty. It leaves the next president with a whipped poor military. Makes Clinton look good, but the next guy has the mess. Just like when Obama took office. We were a mess for a multitude of reasons.

Well. You haven't followed every administration like I have since 1978 when I began civil service. Every President manipulates spending. So there is no difference to be made in that.

The important point of this issue is what counts toward deficit spending on a fiscal year basis and contributes to the running national debt. The President can move money within narrow windows but he cannot change the budget passed by congress.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Agreed. But a president can apply pressures behind closed doors on anyone get chooses to get what he wants. Clinton along with ALL politicians are master manipulaters. We can agree to disagree on Clinton af still talk cows. That's the best part of all of this.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Coosh71 wrote:Agreed. But a president can apply pressures behind closed doors on anyone get chooses to get what he wants. Clinton along with ALL politicians are master manipulaters. We can agree to disagree on Clinton af still talk cows. That's the best part of all of this.

That is at the heart of this. This is why personally, I admired Newt Gingrich and President Clinton for the relationship they cultivated. Basically, Gingrich was the force behind getting a balanced budget. He was a fiscal hawk. But he also had the skill to meet with the President and through that relationship, the chips fell in place for the last fiscal governance this nation has seen. The fact is - those two men are responsible for giving America its last balanced budgets.
1 x
Diogenes.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 am

This balanced budget talk is all smoke and mirrors.
So called balanced budget for a year or a few years is just propaganda to keep the public from realizing what a sorry state the nation is in economically.
For the budget to actually be balanced the national debt would have to be paid off.
That ain't gonna happen.
3 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:52 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:What's the message?

Message is invest in corn and bullets for deer and worms and spinners for fish. That way you can stay fed when it hits the fan :hide:

Make sure it is non GMO corn or Monsanto will come calling. They own the patents.....
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:06 am

Ryder wrote:This balanced budget talk is all smoke and mirrors.
So called balanced budget for a year or a few years is just propaganda to keep the public from realizing what a sorry state the nation is in economically.
For the budget to actually be balanced the national debt would have to be paid off.
That ain't gonna happen.

You are confusing two different concepts.

The federal fiscal year begins on October 1 and ends on September 30 of each year. The President submits a budget to Congress for each federal fiscal year. A balanced budget means that the Congress passes and the President signs a budget that is funded without barrowing money. In effect, that year's budget is funded by the revenue taken in during that fiscal year. Thus, nothing is added to the National Debt.

The national debt is the total cumulative debt for all years.

National Debt- the total accumulated debt of the nation.

Deficit spending- spending more money in a federal fiscal year than revenue taken in.

For the fiscal years under this administration, there has not been an attempt to pass a balanced budget.
1 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:19 am

Bright Raven wrote:
That ain't gonna happen.

The federal fiscal year begins on October 1 and ends on September 30 of each year. The President submits a budget to Congress for each federal fiscal year. A balanced budget means that the Congress passes and the President signs a budget that is funded without barrowing money. In effect, that year's budget is funded by the revenue taken in during that fiscal year. Thus, nothing is added to the National Debt.

Deficit spending- spending more money in a federal fiscal year than revenue taken in.

For the fiscal years under this administration, there has not been an attempt to pass a balanced budget.

He’s not confusing anything, the debt is a huge problem but the true 800 pound gorilla in the room is the unfunded entitlement programs (mandates if you will). That figure is staggering.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
That ain't gonna happen.

He’s not confusing anything, the debt is a huge problem but the true 800 pound gorilla in the room is the unfunded entitlement programs (mandates if you will). That figure is staggering.

Ryder stated: For the budget to actually be balanced the national debt would have to be paid off.

That is incorrect. Maybe confused is not the correct word. The annual fiscal budget can be balanced without paying off the national debt.

Edited to add: IMO it doesn't matter what is in the budget, i.e., entitlements, bombers, etc, what is important is spending within the limits of revenue. I like fiscal conservatism. Let the religious right worry about morals. This nation cannot continue to spend more than it takes in at the rate we are. This POTUS, as you have pointed out, does not give the fiscal affairs a second thought.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
That ain't gonna happen.

The entitlement you speak of would not be a problem today if both parties had not robbed the account. There in is the basic problem politicians and money.
Eisenhower got in it to bail out the post office and left the lid cracked. LBJ ripped it off and they haven’t even looked for it since then.
The real butt chap is you are required to play by the rules and buy the retirement insurance, while it can be
siphoned off to buy votes whenever they feel like.

Edit
Here is the real butt kicker if you paid off SS for the last 30 years you and your employer contributed 250k without interest.
If the same money had been placed in a personal annuity over the same time period it would pay you double or more.
But here lies the rub most people can’t manage money and we have to pay for this one way or the other.
Grits method of a bullet behind the ear isn’t legal.
3 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:04 am

Caustic Burno wrote:The entitlement you speak of would not be a problem today if both parties had not robbed the account. There in is the basic problem politicians and money.
Eisenhower got in it to bail out the post office and left the lid cracked. LBJ ripped it off and they haven’t even looked for it since then.
The real butt chap is you are required to play by the rules and buy the retirement insurance, while it can be
siphoned off to buy votes whenever they feel like.

Edit
Here is the real butt kicker if you paid off SS for the last 30 years you and your employer contributed 250k without interest.
If the same money had been placed in a personal annuity over the same time period it would pay you double or more.
But here lies the rub most people can’t manage money and we have to pay for this one way or the other.
Grits method of a bullet behind the ear isn’t legal.

I know you like that "B Actor President" but the real run on using Civil Service Annuity savings and SS funds to build the military was his trademark! I don't think most Citizens understood what was going on. They thought he was a wizard to be able to cut taxes and at the same time pour billions and billions into building a modern military. Truth is, they were "robbing the bank" to do it.

I know you Remember David Stockman- he quit over that fiasco.

For younger Users:
David Alan Stockman (born November 10, 1946) is an American politician and former businessman who served as a Republican U.S. Representative from the state of Michigan (1977–1981) and as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (1981–1985) under President Ronald Reagan.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:12 am

I am not arguing about the robbery the first assault happened in the 50’s.
It has only gained momentum over the last six decades.
When picking a candidate from all the hogs at the trough I have to remember what my dad always said.
Son it’s cheaper to keep a fat hog fat than fatten a skinny one.
3 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I am not arguing about the robbery the first assault happened in the 50’s.

Yes. The only exception - I know people don't want to hear this - was when Clinton and Gingrich held office.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:18 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I am not arguing about the robbery the first assault happened in the 50’s.

Yes. The only exception - I know people don't want to hear this - was when Clinton and Gingrich held office.

Gingrich is most likely the best speaker we ever had when it comes to legislation accomplishment in our lifetime.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Gingrich is most likely the best speaker we ever had when it comes to legislation accomplishment in our lifetime.

Absolutely and I doubt any speaker had a better IQ. I wonder what he would be doing as President. I cannot imagine that he would be ignoring the debt. His strength was negotiating and fiscal affairs.
0 x
Diogenes.

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:57 am

Lurk here a lot. Post seldom, however getting somewhat tired and frustrated with both the right and left wing element
of our society. Get so tired of the political issues where no one serves the people. Would bet that none of the present
senate or house won 100% their district. You got the majority, you can force some issues down peoples throat, I think only way government works is compromise. If a politician won 60% vote, and he votes straight party line because he/she is of said party then You screwing almost half your constituents. If You're hungry, 1/2 apple better than no apple. Dont agree with Bright Raven on much, and never like Clinton, but agree that he and Gingrich was best combo in recent times because both were willing to reach across party lines to accomplish what they felt best for our nation. Today none-0 do that.
W. Lamar Parmer
6 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”