Short rubber boots or Shoes

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Short rubber boots or Shoes

Post by Jogeephus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Have two pair of LL Bean "duck boots" which are over 40 years old. When I bought them Bean had a lifetime warranty but that was discontinued in February of 2018. I only wear these boots when its wet but I've worn them plenty and feel I got more than my money out of them. The pair I wear the most sprung a leak last year but rather than be bothered sending them back for repair I put some Shoe Goo on them and they were good to go. I probably should send this pair back and have them resoled since the bottoms are getting awfully thin even if it might cost something now. Or maybe after 40 years I need to buy a new pair.

Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by OwnedByTheCow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Sloggers
Be decisive, wether right or wrong.
The road of life is paved with many flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision.

magum1109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by magum1109 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:32 pm

That may be true at first, that leather soles are more slippery. After the leather sole is roughed up by the ground, it becomes less noticeable.
Leather can soak up oils that make it slippery.
Rubber compacts when weight is places on it. It forces the rubber to conform to the ground and more surface area equals more friction.

NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 am

For shoes, the men wear Keens around here cuz they are waterproof and rugged. It’s nice going into a gravity field and not getting your feet wet. I just go barefoot.

Bogs are preferred for normal working conditions in a long boot during winter/rain. I have Mucks. I prefer my cowboy boots. I can throw my ice cleats on them if it’s slick out.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun May 26, 2019 8:16 am

I have two pairs of rubber boots. Xtra tough 16 inch top for when it is muddy. And hip boots for irrigation. Flood irrigation you end up standing in the ditch setting the tarp. The water is very often over knee deep. In mid summer everyone changes tarps early in the morning because on a hot day it is nice to get out of them rubber boots before it warms up.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 am

Does the neoprene breathe in these boots.Muck,Bogs,etc ? PVC gets hot.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.