Branding Clinic

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Branding Clinic

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 am

farmboy80 wrote:I know this is a old post. But I was wanting to know where is a good place to get a freeze brand made? Or who to order it from?
Can you just do initials, or does it have to have a symbol as well?

http://lhbrandingirons.com
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmboy80
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby farmboy80 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks Grit. Know I just have to see what Missouri requires and design my brand.
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am

I bought our irons at http://lhbrandingirons.com/
They have made several custom freeze brands for us.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am

chippie wrote:I bought our irons at http://lhbrandingirons.com/
They have made several custom freeze brands for us.

Haven't seen you post in a long time. Glad to see you're still lurking about.....
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am

farmboy80 wrote:Thanks Grit. Know I just have to see what Missouri requires and design my brand.

Here in Idaho, you have to submit 6 designs in case the one you want is taken. Submit first, order second. What I've learned, too, is that the more simple in design the brand is, the easier it is to apply. I don't know if this is the same for freeze branding, but in ID we have to do a fire brand and the simpler the better.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 pm

I make my own brands I just get copper bar 10mm x 40mm I think and cut out on band saw the straight bits or roll the curves on a simple metal bar roller. I then braze the bits together just with a propane torch using using 40% silver rod, I put on my brand, the year letter and their number. I have a full set of numbers now but have to make a new letter every year. That copper bar is not cheap though.

My brand is 4KlazyH which is a bit of a number plate and a bit difficult to hold on even I am thinking of changing to a symbol brand in the form of a C with an L inside it for my stud prefix "Lode Ck". I think it would be a lot easier to apply evenly.

Last year I used both dry ice and liquid N and the dry ice did the best job hands down.

Ken
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:37 pm

In both Oregon and Washington you can get a copy of the brand book that lists all the registered brands. Oregon has it on line. Washington you pay for a printed copy. Looking at it lets you see what is already taken and gives you a better chance of getting the brand you request as your number 1 choice.
My brand in Washington is a N on the right hip. That brand is already taken in Oregon. So if I end up buying a place in Oregon I will have to the left side or I have thought about flipping it upside down. An upside down N is still an N but upside down the bar would be above the N instead of below it.
0 x

Return to “Every Thing Else Board”