SAV Resource died today

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: SAV Resource died today

Post by LCBulls » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:54 pm

polledbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by polledbull » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:44 am

I know a few breeders that nearly ruined thier herds using -BW bulls forever , they had a hard time getting a calf big enough to wean , there is a place for it , but for the mature cow herd, give me a 85 lb calf , and I can wean a very nice weanig weight , in fact we weaned some just this fall from the spring calving group that weaned over 675lbs off the cow without supplement , they will make a man money , a few were over 700lb

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 am

polledbull wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:44 am
I know a few breeders that nearly ruined thier herds using -BW bulls forever , they had a hard time getting a calf big enough to wean , there is a place for it , but for the mature cow herd, give me a 85 lb calf , and I can wean a very nice weanig weight , in fact we weaned some just this fall from the spring calving group that weaned over 675lbs off the cow without supplement , they will make a man money , a few were over 700lb

I agree. The BW EPD seems to be a good prediction. I don't like to use those negative BWs and if you stack too much CE in a pedigree, it can result in low growth. I don't mind doing it in heifers to get them past that first calf. I have Simmentals and my average BW is 87 pounds. That suits me fine.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 am

Keep breeding those flat sided cattle and breed out the pelvic size.
Slander and "Fake Bull". You have no idea what my bulls look like, how they breed or the cows, calves, ease of keeping, function level, ....

I really feel sorry for you having to argue with accurate EPDs. I never heard anything about CED -10 or 0. That's you line, not mine. Try to slander better next time. This effort is weak.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:55 am
Keep breeding those flat sided cattle and breed out the pelvic size.
Slander and "Fake Bull". You have no idea what my bulls look like, how they breed or the cows, calves, ease of keeping, function level, ....

I really feel sorry for you having to argue with accurate EPDs. I never heard anything about CED -10 or 0. That's you line, not mine. Try to slander better next time. This effort is weak.
Go back and re-read your comments. It’s pretty obvious who’s trying to “slander” with no experience with using this bull.
I never argued about his CEM. I just said that it wasn’t important to me. Also sent you info where it said his progeny were nearly 100 percent choice and prime.
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings.
(+10 CE vs 0 CE)

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 pm

You can't hurt my feelings if you don't tell the truth.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 pm
You can't hurt my feelings if you don't tell the truth.
Exactly, so don’t worry about it. Over 20,000 progeny are enough to prove my point.

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Richnm » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Resource calves make me doubt EPD’s. I don’t care what “bull of the month” AI calf I had. Resource calves always grew faster and weighed more at weaning than thier higher numbered co-calves. Here is a Resource heifer I bought that’s DNA tested. AAA# 19154266
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 am

Richnm wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:03 pm
Resource calves make me doubt EPD’s. I don’t care what “bull of the month” AI calf I had. Resource calves always grew faster and weighed more at weaning than thier higher numbered co-calves. Here is a Resource heifer I bought that’s DNA tested. AAA# 19154266
EPDs are just a tool, some think they are the be all and end all of breeding but there is way more to it. My biggest heaviest calf this year had the lowest growth on EPDs. But usually as a general guide they are pretty good. I personally rate phenotype and fertility as the most important traits and then once i have selected on those traits use EPDs to help sort the next phase of selection. My best rated EPD cow is the lowest fertility in my herd and i am culling her line from my breeding.