Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Luckiamute
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Spring Breeding, What's Everyone Using?

Post by Luckiamute » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Still waiting for the rest of the semen catalogs to arrive in the mail, but likely going this direction for now:

SAV Raindance
S S Niagara Z29
MGR Treasure (calving ease for heifers)

Still have a few single straws of Hoover Dam, K Bar D Joe Canada and Connealy Concord (female sexed semen) as options as well. Prefer to use proven bulls or semi-proven bulls as much as possible instead of the young, unproven bulls.

WinterSpringsFarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:10 am

My Simmental sires

Profit
MR CCF 20-20- his quality is unmatched in my herd so far
THSF Loverboy
WS Revival
Jass On The Mark
Pays To Believe
W/C Bankroll
LHT Viper

Red Angus sires

Red U2 Renown
Red MRLA Resource
Red U2 Reverence
Mann Red Box
Damar Next (Lexus)
LCA Revive

Black Angus sires

Duff LCA Hombre

These are AI and Flush sires. Some of the eggs will be sent to a cooperator herd to be put in.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:04 am

Luckiamute wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:23 pm
Still waiting for the rest of the semen catalogs to arrive in the mail, but likely going this direction for now:

SAV Raindance
S S Niagara Z29
MGR Treasure (calving ease for heifers)

Still have a few single straws of Hoover Dam, K Bar D Joe Canada and Connealy Concord (female sexed semen) as options as well. Prefer to use proven bulls or semi-proven bulls as much as possible instead of the young, unproven bulls.
Preach it.

Here’s a good example. Comrade moves from 2014-2020.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 am

I had a 2nd 20-20 calf born. So far, both look good. The 1-2-10 heifer looks great. But, then again, she is out of our 2-yr old that won Supreme at a show last year. I plan to use him heavier this year.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:44 am
I saw the thread for fall breeding, but I can't be the only one that is starting too narrow down my semen selection and AI protocol for spring. As of right now I am considering using these bulls:

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

KCF Southside (already have in tank, good numbers with high accuracy, that HP EPD is very intriguing, a good option too add frame on some smaller cows, might add too much frame.)

SAV Extension (already have heifer semen in tank, like the double EXT on the top side combined with 4136 on the bottom, would be interesting to bred the heifers with my SAV bull having 4136 on the top and bottom of his pedigree, would like to see a better DMI and RADG but the low acc doesn't have me that concerned.)

Kramers Apollo (the HP is great, the moderate DMI and RADG is nice, good $M, the milk might be a little much for me, haven't really heard much about this bull and can't figure out why.)

TEX Playbook (affordable semen, powerful looking phenotype with a good set of maternal EPDs too back it up, a positive $EN which is hard to find nowadays, terrible foot EPDs but I don't think we have enough data collected on that to use that as a selection tool yet.)

Duff Goose (attracted to the phenotype of this bull, like the heavy OCC influence on the top side combined with useable EPDs, could be used to bring down those large framed cows that aren't as easy doing as we'd like, the HP is a little scary, looks like he will take quite a bit of frame off which could contribute to the CEM there.)

ZWT Summit (like the cow power in the pedigree, sexed semen available, can moderate milk, haven't really looked too heavily into this bull yet.)

As of right now I'm leaning toward using the rest of my sexed Extension semen, using the rest of my Bruiser and getting some Playbook.

As far as my plan, I'm gonna get all my cows up in early April/end of March to worm them, like I do every year, but this time I'm gonna give multimin. Then proceed with the 7 day synch too breed in May, AI anything that comes into natural heat before the synch, and turn the bulls out in June.
A question: why wait to put your bulls in for so long? Are you more interested in knowing the parentage (which you can pull and have analyzed relatively cheaply) or getting more calves on the ground earlier? We'd suggest, if you are commercial and indifferent to the parentage and really like your cover bulls, you put the bulls in the day before you AI and then immediately (or within an hour or two) of inserting your semen. Our conception rates have really skyrocketed and an early calf (21-42 days earlier) is worth more $$$ to us and more than pays for a parentage test. At 2lbs of gain a day, that is 40-60lbs more meat on that calf. I don't know what you sell your calves for or what you do with them but a parentage test is like $14.

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:26 am

rollinhills wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:06 pm
Josher wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:35 am
rollinhills wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Do you have any Stunner calves? I've got 2 bulls really like them so far, couldn't find any semen to use him again really hurt my feelings.
I got 3 bull calves and 3 heifer calves from him. I would say they’re all good. My favourite might be one of the heifer calves. But the bulls are growing good. Nice shape to them. I’m kinda amazed how consistent they are. I thought genex had him in 2020 catalogue but there sold out already?
My understanding he got hurt in a breeding pasture no semen anywhere for him. Supposedly Musgraves don't even have any, don't know if you can believe any of what I was told. info is from my AI guy, he's a Genex Rep.
I'd call Tim and/or Rick up at TK Angus. They owned him with Musgrave and i know they have some of his sons for sale right now. They have been very nice to deal with and a wealth of knowledge and info.

Post Oak
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Post Oak » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:35 pm

I have 4 heifers that are Paxton granddaughters and one Beefmaster heifer that I bought from a friend that I’m thinking of breeding to Charlo or to a Connealy bull (Capitalist, Comrade, or Stingray). Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bulls?
"Stretch your legs to suit your quilt. Very many of us are always busy stretching or shrinking ourselves to suit somebody's quilt besides our own."- John Donald Wade

Jake
GURU
GURU

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Post Oak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:35 pm
I have 4 heifers that are Paxton granddaughters and one Beefmaster heifer that I bought from a friend that I’m thinking of breeding to Charlo or to a Connealy bull (Capitalist, Comrade, or Stingray). Does anyone have an opinion on any of these bulls?
May look at LD Capitalist 316. Have seen some really nice sons out of him.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 pm

Post Oak wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:35 pm
Here’s a capitalist son

And here’s a heifer

Comrade grows nice females, but small. They don’t grow fast, but they are shaped well and their docility is impeccable. I like my capitalist calves, little more frame and growth potential, falls down the middle on mature sizes.

Ned Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Ned Jr. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Rainfall semen is getting hard to find and I believe it going to get even harder.
If attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am

hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

A question: why wait to put your bulls in for so long? Are you more interested in knowing the parentage (which you can pull and have analyzed relatively cheaply) or getting more calves on the ground earlier? We'd suggest, if you are commercial and indifferent to the parentage and really like your cover bulls, you put the bulls in the day before you AI and then immediately (or within an hour or two) of inserting your semen. Our conception rates have really skyrocketed and an early calf (21-42 days earlier) is worth more $$$ to us and more than pays for a parentage test. At 2lbs of gain a day, that is 40-60lbs more meat on that calf. I don't know what you sell your calves for or what you do with them but a parentage test is like $14.
This response blew my mind a bit for its fairly obvious logic that I was blind too. Thanks! I've been entirely AI, but at the end of last season gave in and got a bull.

This season I was thinking of holding off putting the bull in, but as a commercial guy what you note makes a lot of sense.

Stickney94
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stickney94 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am

I enjoy these threads. The original question probably should be amended to include whether you are selling feeders, yearlings, retaining females, feeding to slaughter, etc. Lots of bulls for lots of different markets/reasons.

I feed out and sell private treaty direct to consumer. I also plan on retaining roughly 20% of my heifers as replacements. I have both PB Angus and F1 Angus/Wagyu.

Last season was a strange AI journey with lots of opens, and lots of heat detection. The plan of calving a herd of Hoover Dam calves didn't go to plan, haha. As such, we have calves from Hoover Dam, Cowboy Up, Enhance, LMR Kitaguni (wagyu), and a commercial purchased bull on the way. The Cowboy Ups were a "what do you have in the tank?" question to my AI guy after a morning of seeing a bunch of Estrotect patches shining bright orange.

This season we are looking at Raven Powerball as a replacement for Hoover Dam. Other bulls on the short list, Exceed, Magnitude, Southern Charm, and maybe Enhance.

LJCB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LJCB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I have a lot of Hoover bulls in the tank this year.

Hoover notary
Hoover top notch
Baldridge 38 special
Connealy impact
Hoover Dam( might hang on to him for a couple years)

Also have President and charm leftover from last year

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bovine breeder » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:32 pm

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:44 am

SAV Bruiser (already have in tank, love the Circle A Alliance data, semen used to be cheap but I heard they are gonna start running low now that he is gone so I may have too pivot off my "commercial" cow semen, daughters aren't going to be front pasture quality but are probably my most profitable.)

Where did you hear he was gone??

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:43 pm

My lady's are freshening in May but I've been eyeing up validated. For my herefords and deEp end for my reds