Tehema Tahoe

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Tehema Tahoe

Post by W.B. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:58 am

76 Bar wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 am
W.B. wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:14 am
76 Bar wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:37 pm
Your comment brought back memories. Tehama Lite 561 was my pick of their fall '92 yearlings. My bid lasted all but a few seconds before the feeding frenzy took place in earnest. :lol:
It’s too bad he wasn’t used more. After we calved our first crop of 561 daughters I wanted to use him more but couldn’t get semen. Select Sires sold a boatload of his half brother Traveler 565 and his daughters couldn’t hold a candle to 561.
2 generations of pathfinders directly behind Lite. The Y764 cow & her progeny were held in high esteem by Tehama & others as well. Looked at his current data and FWIW wondering if his foot, docility and RE EPDs came home to roost/contributed to his decline?
You really can’t compare a bull from that timeline numerically to current epd numbers the old stuff loses every time. His pedigree estimates for doc and feet epds make him look worse than reality.From what I remember Select Sires leased him but he didn’t freeze right away and they owned 565 themselves and he was the bull they pushed. Roy Wallace never liked selling someone else’s bull. 561 ended up being marketed by AIG. The bull at that time was owned by Westwind Angus and was later sold into syndication. The new owners really didn’t want or need to sell semen on the bull.

Katpau
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Katpau » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm

MDickinson wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Select sires guy talked my dad into using him last spring. I wasn't a fan of his picture or the calves they had pictured in the catalog, but they were supposedly some of the best calves the select sires guys saw last fall on their tour. We have around 20 confirmed to him so I guess we will have a pretty good sample this coming spring.
How did those calves turn out?

MDickinson
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MDickinson » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:51 am

Katpau wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:09 pm
MDickinson wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Select sires guy talked my dad into using him last spring. I wasn't a fan of his picture or the calves they had pictured in the catalog, but they were supposedly some of the best calves the select sires guys saw last fall on their tour. We have around 20 confirmed to him so I guess we will have a pretty good sample this coming spring.
How did those calves turn out?
We used Tahoe, Rainfall, and Deer Valley Patriot mostly on our Angus herd. The Tahoe calves are the most consistently good calves. We have some nice Rainfall calves as well, but also a few duds. Tahoe calves are all big hipped and growthy.

Katpau
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Katpau » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am

Good to know. I had purchased semen on him last Fall and had planned to use it this Spring. I was to meet the semen rep when I helped out at this Springs Jackpot show for the kids, but Covid 19 changed that. The semen is still in the her tank an hour North. I decided to use up other semen instead of driving up to get it.

Post some pictures if you can. I did get to see quite a few offspring at bull sales last year and online videos. I thought they looked good and they sold well. I find it difficult to judge a bull by just a photo. Bulls that look good in the photo sometimes don't impress me in a video and it can also go the other way. I remember not liking the picture Genex had of Chisum. I was completely uninterested in the bull until I watched the video of him out in the pasture with the cows.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:04 pm

how will the tahoes be frame wise?

MDickinson
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MDickinson » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Darn nice calves.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

VaCowman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by VaCowman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:07 am

MDickinson wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 pm

:clap: He's a looker for sure!