Red Angus start

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
BryanM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Red Angus start

Postby BryanM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Well I have been wanting to get into red angus breed for a while and know I have finally got my chance. I just picked up 2 heifer that are both bred. One being bred to New direction and the other being bred to Pie Gridmaster.

I would like to know what bull makes a good cows with good structure? Basically trying to make good foundation cows.
0 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Red Angus start

Postby redcowsrule33 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Depends on what you're starting with.

What are the heifer's bloodlines? What program were they developed under? Other than solid cows, what are your goals and what type of environment are they expected to perform in? What do you see as the heifer's strengths and weaknesses?
0 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 pm

IF they are not registered angus, I would be inclined to breed them to a good Hereford bull.
UPS Domino 3027 at ABS has a very good maternal reputation among the Hereford guys.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Son of Butch wrote:IF they are not registered angus, I would be inclined to breed them to a good Hereford bull.
UPS Domino 3027 at ABS has a very good maternal reputation among the Hereford guys.

Excellent advice. If you know their bloodlines it makes it somewhat easier suggesting bulls to use.If not it's a crap shoot pretty much and I would stick with a really serious calving ease bull for ther first go round. Above and Beyond from ABS is about the easiest calving red bull around. He also makes excellent daughters for replacements.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Seconding dun's recommendation for Above & Beyond. While I've not used him, I do have a friend who's been in the Red Angus breed for some time... and loves her Above & Beyond calves; she says they fall out so small that you look at them and say, "Why did I do THAT?"... but then, they take off growing... and make great cows with good maternal calving ease.
Just thinking about it, makes me want to lay in a cane of semen for whenever I might wanna breed some RA...
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”