AI sire pics

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Re: AI sire pics

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 am

Got them AI'd last night. Now my next question.

Anyone have any idea on average gestation length for these bulls? I found somewhere that Comrade was -7.7 days. I'd imagine they all have slightly shorter lengths due to being LBW.

Comrade: -7.7 days
Black Granite: ?
Hoover Dam: ?
Answer 71: ?

One of these days I'll get some pictures of the the heifers up here. They have Frontman, 7229, Thunder, and an old bull... Summitcrest Discovery blood in them.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Any more info on gestation lengths? That'd be great information for sire selection, imo.

Also, wasn't Black Granite with Select? Did he pass/stop producing?
0 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm

I don’t have any individual data, but my theory always was when breeding to an angus bull, be ready for a calf at 270 days. Especially a Calving ease bull
0 x

Fieldhand
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Fieldhand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Personal experience, Hoover Dam apparently didn't click with our cattle.

Came small and a few days earlier than average, but just didn't have the growth other low birth wt bulls are getting.

Just my 2cents. I tried him because of good reviews, hopefully you have better success.
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 am

We used Bruiser several years ago and retained heifers out of him. They are having their first calves this spring and so far, so good. We were concerned about his milk EPD so we'll so how they raise their offspring. We have not had any docility issues at all. The steers we sold of his were little meat wagons. In our area of Texas, we need efficiency in our feed inputs (obviously everyone does) so his $EN and DMI, RADG were all impressive to us.
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:18 am

Well, just had my first 2 Black Granite calves. Both heifers, out of heifers. They came at 274 and 275 days. So I guess that puts Black Granite about 8-9 days early with heifer calves.

One calf weighed 73 pounds, the other 72 pounds.
0 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:46 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:We used Bruiser several years ago and retained heifers out of him. They are having their first calves this spring and so far, so good. We were concerned about his milk EPD so we'll so how they raise their offspring. We have not had any docility issues at all. The steers we sold of his were little meat wagons. In our area of Texas, we need efficiency in our feed inputs (obviously everyone does) so his $EN and DMI, RADG were all impressive to us.

Any update on the Bruiser daughters milking / calf raising ability? Also their fleshing ability and fertility if you know yet? Thanks
0 x

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:39 pm

We've been very happy. Moderate size heifer although they are stout. i'd say full grown we will be talking 1300lbs. Probably a frame 6. Definitely not as long as the heifers out of our 10x sons but really carry alot of rib and "junk in the trunk." Fertility has been great. We think he is a cow maker bull and is awesome for increasing the feed efficiency. They have retained their flesh nicely with their first calves. We are a fan of Bruiser.
1 x

Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bovine breeder » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:38 am

hornedfrogbbq wrote:We've been very happy. Moderate size heifer although they are stout. i'd say full grown we will be talking 1300lbs. Probably a frame 6. Definitely not as long as the heifers out of our 10x sons but really carry alot of rib and "junk in the trunk." Fertility has been great. We think he is a cow maker bull and is awesome for increasing the feed efficiency. They have retained their flesh nicely with their first calves. We are a fan of Bruiser.

Awesome. All the things I’ve hoped he was. Thanks for the update
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:17 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:We've been very happy. Moderate size heifer although they are stout. i'd say full grown we will be talking 1300lbs. Probably a frame 6. Definitely not as long as the heifers out of our 10x sons but really carry alot of rib and "junk in the trunk." Fertility has been great. We think he is a cow maker bull and is awesome for increasing the feed efficiency. They have retained their flesh nicely with their first calves. We are a fan of Bruiser.

What about base width on Bruiser calves. I heard some say that some of his calves lack base width.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 am

L&FAngusAcres wrote:Got them AI'd last night. Now my next question.

Anyone have any idea on average gestation length for these bulls? I found somewhere that Comrade was -7.7 days. I'd imagine they all have slightly shorter lengths due to being LBW.

Comrade: -7.7 days
Black Granite: ?
Hoover Dam: ?
Answer 71: ?

One of these days I'll get some pictures of the the heifers up here. They have Frontman, 7229, Thunder, and an old bull... Summitcrest Discovery blood in them.

Just curious: why the question on gestation length? If you have selected for CED or low BW is it a mere wonderment or a planning for the calving date? I still wonder if selecting for extremes does not have links to things that we do not want. What is linked to short gestation periods, both good and bad?
0 x

L&FAngusAcres
Beginner
Beginner

Postby L&FAngusAcres » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 am

Ebenezer:

For me it was for planning a calving date. Since they are heifers I wanted to make sure I get them to the dry lot at the house for calving, rather than in the pasture where I can't check on them regularly. Problem for me is that in Kansas in late July/early August it is 95+ degrees and 60%+ humidity every day. I have no shade in the dry lot. Wanted to leave them in the pasture as long as safely possible rather than bring them home to stand in the sun 2 weeks before they were ready. Normally shade isn't an issue because our other 250 head all calve in February, but have a handful of registered that calve here in the fall.

By the way for anyone still curious... Had an Answer 71 bull calf at 276 days. 72 pounds, born to a heifer as well.

Thanks for the questions!
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”