Flushing

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Flushing

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:26 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:I’m interested as well in the setup for fresh versus frozen. I’ve got 4 cows I’m thinking about putting Wagyu embryos in this fall. Do the cows need to be in heat to implant?

You implant the eggs after heat, typically a week after because you need the embryo to match the same cycle as the donor when she was flushed and those eggs became embryos.

We have a good embryologist and good conditioned cows. Scratching my head on conception with embryos we purchased because our own embryos had a much better conception rate.

If I ever purchase embryos again, I’ll have a 50% guarantee. I know death after birth isn’t their problem. Just frustrated.

I’d however, love to have gizmoms conception rates.

You know who I buy most of my eggs from and they do a 50% guaranty for me. We use a certified embryologist.

I will find out how my own flush eggs did next week when the vet comes out. I am on pins and needles because my favorite cow ever only had three eggs this last flush, I have no progeny left and she now has a foot problem for which she is running out of time.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:29 pm

SchenkAngusFarm wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:I’m interested as well in the setup for fresh versus frozen. I’ve got 4 cows I’m thinking about putting Wagyu embryos in this fall. Do the cows need to be in heat to implant?

You implant the eggs after heat, typically a week after because you need the embryo to match the same cycle as the donor when she was flushed and those eggs became embryos.

We have a good embryologist and good conditioned cows. Scratching my head on conception with embryos we purchased because our own embryos had a much better conception rate.

If I ever purchase embryos again, I’ll have a 50% guarantee. I know death after birth isn’t their problem. Just frustrated.

You know who I buy most of my eggs from and they do a 50% guaranty for me. We use a certified embryologist.

I will find out how my own flush eggs did next week when the vet comes out. I am on pins and needles because my favorite cow ever only had three eggs this last flush, I have no progeny left and she now has a foot problem for which she is running out of time.

Interesting, that’s who we got ours from. The one calf we got from the embryos we bought is a beauty. She’s now considered the $2500 embryo.

We recently purchased our own donor and have a couple more that we are flushing. Our donor had 9 good eggs on her first flush with us. Her eggs will be placed next week. Also doing a live transfer on a different flush here in a couple weeks. Hoping we get better results.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
SchenkAngusFarm wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:

Interesting, that’s who we got ours from. The one calf we got from the embryos we bought is a beauty. She’s now considered the $2500 embryo.

We recently purchased our own donor and have a couple more that we are flushing. Our donor had 9 good eggs on her first flush with us. Her eggs will be placed next week. Also doing a live transfer on a different flush here in a couple weeks. Hoping we get better results.

Nine eggs is strong! That's a great flush.

Yeah, we don't have a written agreement with them on the eggs but they have taken care of us before when things didn't take. Make sure you don't tell them I told you though! We also just bought $25K of eggs from them. We love their operation.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Great information here! I will throw out some numbers I have crunched on our cattle and embryos;
First, we purchase all of our embryos, so they are frozen
Second, in most cases, we use natural heats. The only time we do not is the last week of November when we are starting our fall breeding season, then we set up all the recips at the same time.
Third, a cow get's two chances for an embryo. If she does not stick the second embryo, we AI her.

OK, so here are my numbers on actual known embryos and resulting calves:
6-1 - we have only ever put one in, and it stuck
5-1 - 13 total - 9 (one was an IVF) that stuck, results of known calves were 3 bulls and 3 heifers (the other three are in cows right now). 4 others resulted in non pregnancies (69% conception on 5-1).
5-2 - 2 put in total, one pregnancy one non pregnancy (IVF)
4-1 - 33 total, 15 pregnancies (two on the ground - one of each sex). 18 non pregnancies (45% conception)
4-2 - 10 total, 6 pregnancies (3 bulls, one heifer), 4 non pregnancies (60% conception).
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am

Our second flush to one donor, who had 9 good eggs last time...had 4 this time. However, it was sexed semen (treasure), which we knew may not result in the same number of good embryos. We did do a live transfer this time though, of all 4.

My other donor is going to flush the 1st week of May. We're still determining what we'll breed her to.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”