A Sample

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7225
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A Sample

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I would cull what doesn't work for me. Personally I'd sell before the heifers go to a bull. That way you can still sell them as open heifers, and sleep at night.


Vince, I think these two difficult heifers will do fine. They cycle regular. These heifers are much easier after a calf. The cervix becomes more rigid and larger. After a calf, they also seem to settle down.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7399
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: A Sample

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I would cull what doesn't work for me. Personally I'd sell before the heifers go to a bull. That way you can still sell them as open heifers, and sleep at night.


Vince, I think these two difficult heifers will do fine. They cycle regular. These heifers are much easier after a calf. The cervix becomes more rigid and larger. After a calf, they also seem to settle down.

You definitely have a better feel for it than I do.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2529
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: A Sample

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Ron
Let's see this fall how the timing relates to sex of the calf! It is said the male sperm arrives first, so if the egg is there when you breed, it will be a bull. If you go early, the male sperm die first, and the females are left, so those that you went early on might tend to be heifers....
hopefully, not a bull season for you this time around!
You are excellent at breeding, but you know why! Your detail in heat detection is why your conception is outstanding, you know when she is in heat, and put the straw where it needs to be at the right time....
2 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3925
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: A Sample

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 pm

I am truly jealous Ron, good on you.

I have had a few this year that have gone past 42 days and then come back in season, I had some early scanning done and one heifer was pregnant at 7 wks then came back a wk later another cows was scanned 12 wks then 4 wks later came back on, very annoying. My neighbour lost a couple of calves last year to confirmed Akabane virus it is insect born and can cause early foetal death as well as abnormal foetal development so could be the case here, time will tell.

It is nice to know that you are human too Ron having that heifer you couldn't do. I think you were going to use some xylazine on one of them, is that the one that went down? I find Acetyl promazine is more reliable at taking the edge off them. A couple of years ago I had a heifer that I just could not get through the cervix, I knew I was halfway but could not get through so I ended up pulling the trigger there and she ended up being the first to calve.

Ken
1 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7225
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A Sample

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 am

wbvs58 wrote:It is nice to know that you are human too Ron having that heifer you couldn't do. I think you were going to use some xylazine on one of them, is that the one that went down? I find Acetyl promazine is more reliable at taking the edge off them. A couple of years ago I had a heifer that I just could not get through the cervix, I knew I was halfway but could not get through so I ended up pulling the trigger there and she ended up being the first to calve.

Ken


Yes, the xylazine was used on Shear Alice. I need to find something that takes the edge off but doesn't have the disadvantages of Xylazine. I would like to find something mild that relaxes them. More for their sake than mine. A couple of these heifers this year, suffered a lot of stress. That plays on my mind as I breed. I am as gentle as I can be but you have to manipulate the cervix, some are very reactivate to having their cervix handled.

I will check the Acetyl promazine, Thanks Ken.

Edited to add: Acetylpromazine is not approved for use in cattle in the US according to my Google search.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3925
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: A Sample

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:48 pm

I'll have to look into the reason for that Ron, I know here a local vet uses it when flushing cows and he is up to date on any restrictions.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Chocolate Cow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 12:21 am
Location: West Central Kansas

Re: A Sample

Postby Chocolate Cow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:38 pm

How much xylanine (rompun) did you give her? I've used it to get a cow to take a orphan calf. Doesn't take much. 1/4cc or so.

And Congrats on your AI percentage. I don't AI but have enjoyed reading this.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7225
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A Sample

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:How much xylanine (rompun) did you give her? I've used it to get a cow to take a orphan calf. Doesn't take much. 1/4cc or so.

And Congrats on your AI percentage. I don't AI but have enjoyed reading this.


Thank you. I used 1/2 cc.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3925
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: A Sample

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Ron you must have been given the wrong strength for cattle, if so that would have been equivalent to 2.5ml of the normal cattle strength (100mg/ml for horses or 20mg/ml for cattle).

Ken
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7225
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: A Sample

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Ron you must have been given the wrong strength for cattle, if so that would have been equivalent to 2.5ml of the normal cattle strength (100mg/ml for horses or 20mg/ml for cattle).

Ken


I received it by the syringe. So I did not draw it from the bottle. The dose came in a 3 cc syringe. I am positive of the dose. They put a sticky on the syringe saying it was Xylazine. Did not list the strength.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3925
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: A Sample

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

In a 400kg heifer 2.5ml of Xylazine 20mg/ml would produce light to moderate sedation with some going down and curling head and neck to the side.

Ken
0 x


Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests