Best bulls for marbling

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Best bulls for marbling

Postby Air gator » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 pm

I was reading about beef prices and I saw that the price gap is widening between the quality beef...the choice/select spread.

There are a lot of bulls with high marbling epds but their conformation/eye appeal is lacking.
What's the best bull for marbling? In other words, a bull that you would use whether or not you cared about marbling.

Does anyone know anything about Woodside Rito 4P26 of 0242?
I tried to find a video and didn't have any luck.
I saw him on the Origen beef website.
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Best bulls for marbling

Postby Warrior2154 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:00 pm

GAR Prophet.
2 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Genetics has some to do with marbling but Feed ration has a lot to do with it.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm

We have a 9Q13 son that we keep around just for beefs that we feed out. May begin to ai a few to him just to try to get some steers. Best steaks we've ever had..can practically cut them with a fork.
https://bullsearch.absglobal.com/en-us/ ... ountry/222
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Lazy M wrote:We have a 9Q13 son that we keep around just for beefs that we feed out. May begin to ai a few to him just to try to get some steers. Best steaks we've ever had..can practically cut them with a fork.

Take it backabout the ai.. His straws are $50..
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Used PA Power Tool 9108, a while back. Had some calves from a couple registered Angus cows and some from Hereford cows. I liked the look of the calves, and have kept a bull by him. Power Tools marbling epd is 1.22.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 am

Hogtiming wrote:Genetics has some to do with marbling but Feed ration has a lot to do with it.

Sorry, genetics has everything to do with it.
3 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:36 am

Aaron wrote:
Hogtiming wrote:Genetics has some to do with marbling but Feed ration has a lot to do with it.

genetics has everything to do with the potential to excel. Feed is a key part to allow the animals to express the potential. Can't see one without the other.
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 am

I was told a few days back, on this site , that any Dairy breed was the best grading / marbling breed you could butcher. Like I said then if that's true why not run a dairy bull on your cattle.

I don't think no bull is going to make all be marbling beef, and there is no feeding program that will make them all be marbling beef. I have killed to many pot loads from the same feed lots that had several head from them same farms and some will grade and some will not, just the way it is. I say same feed lot and same farm, I am not saying we only used one feed lot and one farm. Its a lot harder to get a USDA PRIME than some people think.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 am

BRYANT wrote:I was told a few days back, on this site, that any Dairy breed was the best grading / marbling breed you could butcher.
Like I said then if that's true why not run a dairy bull on your cattle.
Its a lot harder to get a USDA PRIME than some people think.

Efficiency.
Holsteins will produce inner fat in the muscle [marbling] before outer fat layer covering, but are grain tanks when
it comes to feed.

You want to breed for single trait selection... Wagyu.
But Airgator's question is best marbling, yet still a good all around well balanced trait sire.
I agree with warrior... GAR Prophet comes the closest.
1 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am

Lazy M wrote:
Lazy M wrote:We have a 9Q13 son that we keep around just for beefs that we feed out. May begin to ai a few to him just to try to get some steers. Best steaks we've ever had..can practically cut them with a fork.

Take it backabout the ai.. His straws are $50..

You will spend $50 for a single steak at a nice restaurant ... if you think he makes great steaks, why not spend the extra few bucks to eat the beef you're pretty sure you are going to really really like?

It might also help you get a better price when selling beef off the farm, too.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:31 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:
Lazy M wrote:Take it back about the ai.. His straws are $50..

You will spend $50 for a single steak at a nice restaurant ...

Not me.
And more that won't, than will spend $50 on a steak agree with President Trump.... Big Macs are delicious.

p.s.
Bill Clinton also came to the White House with a McDonald's addiction.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Aaron wrote:

genetics has everything to do with the potential to excel. Feed is a key part to allow the animals to express the potential. Can't see one without the other.

That's not what he was saying. He is making it out that you can take any animal and feed it to be Prime, regardless of genetics. Feed is the controlled factor, genetics is the variable factor.

Take 100 head from different breeds and locations into one pen and it doesn't matter how well you feed them as a group, they won't all be Prime.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:
Lazy M wrote:Take it back about the ai.. His straws are $50..

You will spend $50 for a single steak at a nice restaurant ...

Not me.
And more that won't, than will spend $50 on a steak agree with President Trump.... Big Macs are delicious.

$30 is my cutoff. But glad there are people out there that love to spend big money to fill their guts.
0 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Aaron wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:
Aaron wrote:

That's not what he was saying. He is making it out that you can take any animal and feed it to be Prime, regardless of genetics. Feed is the controlled factor, genetics is the variable factor.

Take 100 head from different breeds and locations into one pen and it doesn't matter how well you feed them as a group, they won't all be Prime.

I think you mistook my post. I did not mean any animal. I said genetics has some to do with it but feed ration has a lot to do with it. I have fed prophet sons an average cheap ration and have them not grade over choice. I have fed them a better feed and have them usda grade high choice to prime. I have done the same with war party calves. Look at his marbling epds. Genetics has some to do with the grading a agree. But you can really change the feed ration up and make them grade good. it works here where I live may not work for you.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”