Fat versus Marbling EPD?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Fat versus Marbling EPD?

Postby boondocks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Howdy! We have some (registered) Angus that we don't grain (grass only). Solely use AI. Especially because they're grass-fed, I'm attuned to tenderness (the need for); I've mostly paid attention to marbling EPDs, but being fairly new, realize that I should be looking at the fat EPD also. (I think!)
Any comment/advice out there? Here's the select sires Angus lineup, organized by high-to-low marbling. (You can click on the top tabs for to put other traits in order). Thanks!
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... marb%20epd
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Fat versus Marbling EPD?

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:24 am

Marbling equates to intramuscular fat and therefore to tenderness.
Fat is the outer fat covering, trim loss, but also 'easy' fleshing females. It's a 2 edged sword.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:16 am

We have 2 fat EBV's, the rib fat and rump fat and then seperately the Intra muscular fat EBV. A lot of people are chasing the +ve fat EBV's suggesting that the offspring may be easier doing but with everything it is always a balance.

Ken
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:22 am

You will never get the full benefit of genetic IMF on grassfed beef.

If fat=easy keeping cows, then why do some of the cows with longevity stay thinner and are not the pudgy type? A real balance and the only answers I have found has been knowing a bit more by studying Bonsma writings and looking for things on cows beyond the current talking points.
Last edited by Ebenezer on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:57 am

I agree with Ebenezer, and would advise caution in applying EPD's to performance on grass. Source genetics from programs that have been breeding for forage conversion, and not feedlot performance. I'm working on the assumption you are direct marketing your offspring on forage, which is why you are concerned with tenderness. Age of the animal is the most important correlations to tenderness, so a well devised, high energy forage chain is the key.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:23 am

jdg wrote:I agree with Ebenezer, and would advise caution in applying EPD's to performance on grass. Source genetics from programs that have been breeding for forage conversion, and not feedlot performance. I'm working on the assumption you are direct marketing your offspring on forage, which is why you are concerned with tenderness. Age of the animal is the most important correlations to tenderness, so a well devised, high energy forage chain is the key.

Thanks jdg, and everyone else as well. This sheds a bit more light.
Is it fair to say that, even though the marbling EPDs might not be 100% reliable (especially when applied to grass performance), that a sire that is 1.2 for marbling will likely produce better-marbled offspring than one that is .4? ie, that is might not be totally reliable but is at least worth taking into account (and trying to stay away form sires with super-low marbling EPD?)
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:11 pm

boondocks wrote:
jdg wrote:I agree with Ebenezer, and would advise caution in applying EPD's to performance on grass. Source genetics from programs that have been breeding for forage conversion, and not feedlot performance. I'm working on the assumption you are direct marketing your offspring on forage, which is why you are concerned with tenderness. Age of the animal is the most important correlations to tenderness, so a well devised, high energy forage chain is the key.

Thanks jdg, and everyone else as well. This sheds a bit more light.
Is it fair to say that, even though the marbling EPDs might not be 100% reliable (especially when applied to grass performance), that a sire that is 1.2 for marbling will likely produce better-marbled offspring than one that is .4? ie, that is might not be totally reliable but is at least worth taking into account (and trying to stay away form sires with super-low marbling EPD?)

Marbling comes from excess energy in the diet beyond other system needs. So if energy is limited it will not matter about genetics for the most part.
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”