Flush to whom?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:56 pm

IF you want to swing for the fences for big time home run numbers (or a strike out) check out the young sire
Bar R Jet Black reg 18381938 at Origen ced 11 yw 159 sc 1.38 doc 24 $W 86 $F148 $B 205
sire Black Granite x mgs Upward
Connealy Onward is the sire of Upward and War Party making him a great grandsire of both Jet Black and your Lassie, giving you a touch of line breeding for uniformity.

It's the type of mating that could get you Bull of the Month Club membership.
0 x

Warrior2154
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Warrior2154 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:04 am

Agree with Hoover Dam, but if you want a son who is got more growth, I'd look at Niagara at Select
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:39 am

wrong number Son 18389838 If I was gonna swing for the fences id look at Acclaim 17972810 stronger numbers and more proven, better than fair ACC. That may get you in bull of the year if you have the money to push it.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 am

Son of Butch wrote:IF you want to swing for the fences for big time home run numbers (or a strike out) check out the young sire
Bar R Jet Black reg 18381938 at Origen ced 11 yw 159 sc 1.38 doc 24 $W 86 $F148 $B 205
sire Black Granite x mgs Upward
Connealy Onward is the sire of Upward and War Party making him a great grandsire of both Jet Black and your Lassie, giving you a touch of line breeding for uniformity.

It's the type of mating that could get you Bull of the Month Club membership.

A question was asked in this post about our goal and while bull of the month would be great, we are wanting to, at this time... breed for replacements. If we could get females who can throw a good growing calf to finish out, that’s a lot more money for us than a pipe dream. Since reality pays the bills. I’m really pushing for Epic but Hoover is a sire I’ve wanted to use also. That docility just scares us a bit. Our cows aren’t hot heads. I know much of that has to do with how often you handle them and we have a strong presence but that is most certainly inheritable too. Have you had Hoover calves?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

bse wrote:wrong number Son 18389838 If I was gonna swing for the fences id look at Acclaim 17972810 stronger numbers and more proven, better than fair ACC. That may get you in bull of the year if you have the money to push it.

We do have some acclaim in our tank. My husband had a neighbor flush his cow to her and he got 25 good eggs! Neighbor had semen shipping overnight that never made it. So we helped him out in a pinch. Good cow. Acclaim is hot around here locally. Better bet than what he was going to flush her to, in my opinion.

How much growth can a female have before they just look like a train wreck?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:51 am

Flushing for females for herd building - Hoover Dam is tried and true
Breed her to calve to Acclaim ced 13 for your home run swing and hope for a bull calf.

IF you get a train wreck female.... breed up to simmental program.... to improve their breed...lol
no emjoies ... sad face
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 am

Is there semen available on Acclaim?
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am

Air gator wrote:Is there semen available on Acclaim?

Not sure if you can get it at moment but we have 7 straws left.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:51 am

We also picked up some Blackstone at their sale. He’s a black magic son. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CyRg%3d%3d

We used him and Epic on our first and second calf heifers this year because of growth, low BW, and high calving ease. We used blackstone on our second calf since his sire has a higher BW, just in case. At Byergo sale, we were able to get blackstone at $19 a straw (sells for $40). Either going to go well or be a hot mess.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Acclaim is supposed to have semen available, still short, they told me I would have it before May breeding, we will see
0 x

Hogtiming
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hogtiming » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:02 pm

bse wrote:Acclaim is supposed to have semen available, still short, they told me I would have it before May breeding, we will see

Bse. Call nick at Jindra if your in doubt about gettin it. He sent me some. That’s what I had to do
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:We also picked up some Blackstone at their sale. He’s a black magic son. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CyRg%3d%3d

We used him and Epic on our first and second calf heifers this year because of growth, low BW, and high calving ease. We used blackstone on our second calf since his sire has a higher BW, just in case. At Byergo sale, we were able to get blackstone at $19 a straw (sells for $40). Either going to go well or be a hot mess.

Isn't Black Magic the reigning "bull of the month club" title holder. Came out of no where because of his #1 ranking $B. I'd never heard of Byergo until very recent. I'll pass on any of that hype.
1 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pm

torogmc81 wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:We also picked up some Blackstone at their sale. He’s a black magic son. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CyRg%3d%3d

Isn't Black Magic the reigning "bull of the month club" title holder. Came out of no where because of his #1 ranking $B. I'd never heard of Byergo until very recent. I'll pass on any of that hype.

I wouldn’t use him to flush, he’s terminal for us. We hadn’t either but I was assisting another friend in that ABS search to dwindle down some choices for him and we came across black magic. Curiosity, we googled him and stumbled across his son and their upcoming sale. Certainly wouldn’t have spent $40 on him. Black Magic is suppose to be the number one embryo sire currently but again, wouldn’t use him or his son for that.

We spoke with someone recently who stated that Byergo does NOT have a good reputation in the area they reside in. I’m unclear as to why. So I hate even throwing that out there but the gentleman we spoke with, is reputable.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

torogmc81 wrote:

And for what it’s worth, Acclaim is kinda the same deal. Jindra wasn’t even known until Acclaim’s $B.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm

I think Double Vision was the first to bring the Jindra name, that i recall, which is the grandsire of Acclaim. Never heard of Byergo untill just now, but gotta start somewhere. Thanks Hogtiming if it doesnt get here next few weeks i will do that.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”