Flush to whom?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Flush to whom?

Postby Air gator » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Yes, Byergo seems to have come out of nowhere. Has anyone seen Bub's Southern Charm?
He doesn't seem to have as much frame, mature weight or $EN issues.
I like the looks of his calves and he is an outcross to a lot of popular sires.
At the moment if I were buying 30 straws from ABS/Origen it would be 10 straws each of Southern Charm, Hoover Dam and Rampage.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 pm

bse wrote:I think Double Vision was the first to bring the Jindra name, that i recall, which is the grandsire of Acclaim. Never heard of Byergo untill just now, but gotta start somewhere. Thanks Hogtiming if it doesnt get here next few weeks i will do that.

What state you reside in BSE?
0 x

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kilroy60 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:26 am

FF Rito Reputation 6H7. He's at ABS.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:49 am

NEFarmwife im in TN
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am

Air gator wrote:Is there semen available on Acclaim?

My guy still has plenty of it.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
torogmc81 wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:We also picked up some Blackstone at their sale. He’s a black magic son. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CyRg%3d%3d

We used him and Epic on our first and second calf heifers this year because of growth, low BW, and high calving ease. We used blackstone on our second calf since his sire has a higher BW, just in case. At Byergo sale, we were able to get blackstone at $19 a straw (sells for $40). Either going to go well or be a hot mess.

Isn't Black Magic the reigning "bull of the month club" title holder. Came out of no where because of his #1 ranking $B. I'd never heard of Byergo until very recent. I'll pass on any of that hype.

And for what it’s worth, Acclaim is kinda the same deal. Jindra wasn’t even known until Acclaim’s $B.

A pretty good farm in our part of the country has been using Jindra for a while but Double Vision and others clearly never had the hype as Acclaim.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:52 pm

I’m not quite sold on Jindra Acclaim yet. We only have 5 heifers out of him, but they are all a step or two behind our other AI sired calves.They were definitely Calving Ease, and are bigger framed, but don’t have much thickness at 3 months old. Their still young, but so far not really impressed.
Comparing against;
Ld Capitalist 316
Tex Playbook
HA cowboy up
Coleman Charlo

I would also highly recommend
SAV Resource 1441, and SAV Seedstock for making females.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 am

LCBulls wrote:I’m not quite sold on Jindra Acclaim yet. We only have 5 heifers out of him, but they are all a step or two behind our other AI sired calves.They were definitely Calving Ease, and are bigger framed, but don’t have much thickness at 3 months old. Their still young, but so far not really impressed.
Comparing against;
Ld Capitalist 316
Tex Playbook
HA cowboy up
Coleman Charlo

I would also highly recommend
SAV Resource 1441, and SAV Seedstock for making females.

What are your thoughts on Cowboy Up? I wanted to throw some of him in our breedings this year but it didn't happen.

I feel as though, over half our females are Resource and Seedstock, that have been retained the last couple years. Really liking our Charlo and Titanium calves this year so far. They'd have been out of the Resource and Seedstock replacements.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:28 pm

We flushed our best cow, Coleman Engage 5255’s (Select Sires) Dam to Cowboy Up, Seedstock, Rb Confirmed (oops), and Charlo
Cowboy Up’s are definitely the biggest so far. They are really thick and have big tops and good structure. Only negative is that they are all brown hair colored as calves. Only got 2 Charlo calves out of that flush, but the heifer is probably the best heifer calf we’ve had.
We bred fairly heavy to Cowboy Up and would say that his calves are all really consistent and none have been duds.
Haven’t bred any Charlo x Resource or Seedstock.I bet those are nice
We are planning on flushing to Raindance and President. The pictures I’ve seen of their calves at Schaff are unreal.
( March Raindance)
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm

LCBulls wrote:We flushed our best cow, Coleman Engage 5255’s (Select Sires) Dam to Cowboy Up, Seedstock, Rb Confirmed (oops), and Charlo
Cowboy Up’s are definitely the biggest so far. They are really thick and have big tops and good structure. Only negative is that they are all brown hair colored as calves. Only got 2 Charlo calves out of that flush, but the heifer is probably the best heifer calf we’ve had.
We bred fairly heavy to Cowboy Up and would say that his calves are all really consistent and none have been duds.
Haven’t bred any Charlo x Resource or Seedstock.I bet those are nice
We are planning on flushing to Raindance and President. The pictures I’ve seen of their calves at Schaff are unreal.
( March Raindance)

Why the oops on Rb Confirmed? We have a heifer calf out of him and I love her. ET calf.

We bred to President this year. I believe we got 30 straws of him. I also think he’s the only SAV we used this year except for a straw of this or that, that we had leftover.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:06 pm

They were OK, just didn’t seem to mesh very well with our cows. Only got one heifer that we decided to keep. We did have one Bull calf that weaned off the heaviest of all though, just didn’t continue to perform on test. I guess we had a few really nice ones and some that were not very good. Not very consistent. We bought Straws of him when he was unproven, when he was Calving Ease and Bred heifers to him, that’s where the “oops”came from.
0 x

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 am

bse wrote:Acclaim is supposed to have semen available, still short, they told me I would have it before May breeding, we will see

My rep has it.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Tue May 01, 2018 4:28 pm

ShenkAngus, they delivered mine last week, thanks
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed May 02, 2018 9:17 am

Well, she's started her shots. We'll flush her on the 14th. We are doing Acclaim the first go round because of the interest of the mating, around here. If she flushes well, we have an opportunity to make some money on her embryos but the interest in them is making my husband second guess whether we should sell them.

We'll flush her a second time to Jet Black and then have her calve to Resource, probably. I do like that Jet Black.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 am

NEFarmwife wrote:Well, she's started her shots. We'll flush her on the 14th. We are doing Acclaim the first go round because of the interest of the mating, around here. If she flushes well, we have an opportunity to make some money on her embryos but the interest in them is making my husband second guess whether we should sell them.

We'll flush her a second time to Jet Black and then have her calve to Resource, probably. I do like that Jet Black.

I'll bite, why not flush her again to Acclaim? Making money is never a bad thing.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”