Cystorelin

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Roseburg, Oregon

Cystorelin

Postby Katpau » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:09 pm

I opened a new 15 dose bottle of Cystorelin last year when breeding the last cow or two, so I had an almost full bottle in the fridge for the last year. I just noticed the bottle says "dispose of 6 months after opening". The bottle is not expired but the original metal cap that you need to remove to access the rubber top is gone, and there is a tiny pin hole where my syringe entered. Is there really a risk in using the rest? Hate to throw it away and buy new when it is almost full.
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Cystorelin

Postby ez14. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:26 pm

If you have the enough time before you actually need them bred I'd try setting a couple up and see if they cycle

I had an almost empty bottle that was about a year old that I through away recently but I'm not sure if that was necessary
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Air gator » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 pm

You should be fine on something like Cystorelin or Lutalyse.
You just don't want to use expired vaccines for calves etc.
I personally try to cover the pin hole with a thick shipping tape.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7595
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Lutalyse is an extremely durable organic compound. It can withstand a lot of abuse without denaturing the compound. Cystorelin is more durable than vaccines but not as durable as Lutalyse. I would be more cautious with cystorelin if your application is very critical.

However, if it was properly stored and has not expired, I would not hesitate to use it.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3985
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Cystorelin

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:59 am

The main reason they say to throw things like that out after a certain time is contamination. Multidose bottles will usually contain some bacteriostats to suppress growth of contaminants and they can't be confident that they will work after the time period after breaching the bottle. You can help as well by using good technique and seeing that only a couple doses have been drawn out contamination should be minimal.

Ken
1 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: Roseburg, Oregon

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Katpau » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks for your responses. I have decided to use a new bottle for the GNRH shot that I give just prior to inserting the CIDR and use up the old bottle when I give the GNRH after I AI, on all those cows that have shown heat. I will use the new bottle on any synchronized and bred, but who failed to show heat prior to breeding. I am not sure the GNRH is really even necessary on those who have shown heat 12 hours prior to breeding, but I give it anyway because it is listed as part of the protocol. I use a new needle on each animal so cross contamination should not be an issue.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7595
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Katpau wrote:Thanks for your responses. I have decided to use a new bottle for the GNRH shot that I give just prior to inserting the CIDR and use up the old bottle when I give the GNRH after I AI, on all those cows that have shown heat. I will use the new bottle on any synchronized and bred, but who failed to show heat prior to breeding. I am not sure the GNRH is really even necessary on those who have shown heat 12 hours prior to breeding, but I give it anyway because it is listed as part of the protocol. I use a new needle on each animal so cross contamination should not be an issue.


I like that plan.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Cystorelin

Postby LCBulls » Sat May 05, 2018 8:55 pm

I agree with that plan. We somehow had an old expired bottle of Cystorelin that was still in our fridge. We used it, unaware that it had been expired for more than 2 years. It was used on the day of CIDR insertion. After scratching our heads as to why we had such a low number of heifers come in heat on time. We discovered that one of the bottles of Cystorelin was no good. Not sure how it happened, because I normally check on the expiration dates. Lucky for us it was only one 15 dose bottle, but we have had to basically heat detect all our heifers and wasting a ton of time.
After typing this, I would recommend throwing anything questionable away. One more AI or ET calf will more than pay for the cost of a new bottle.
0 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Hmmm - from what I have been told, the GNRH shot given at insertion is to eliminate any cows that are cystic. Is this wrong?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7595
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Hmmm - from what I have been told, the GNRH shot given at insertion is to eliminate any cows that are cystic. Is this wrong?


Yes, you are correct. It cleans up the ovaries. Knocks off any excess follicular cysts by releasing the ova. Then when you insert the CIDR, you use Lutalyse to lysis the CL. However, the GnRH is given 7 days prior to inserting the CIDR and prostaglandin (Lut) is given at insertion.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Hmmm - from what I have been told, the GNRH shot given at insertion is to eliminate any cows that are cystic. Is this wrong?


Yes, you are correct. It cleans up the ovaries. Knocks off any excess follicular cysts by releasing the ova. Then when you insert the CIDR, you use Lutalyse to lysis the CL. However, the GnRH is given 7 days prior to inserting the CIDR and prostaglandin (Lut) is given at insertion.

This sounds off. You give a Lut shot when you pull the CIDR (or 1 day later) not at incertion???
Also, had not heard of GnRH 7 days PRIOR to inserting. Does this help? Is it better than giving it at time of insertion?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7595
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Hmmm - from what I have been told, the GNRH shot given at insertion is to eliminate any cows that are cystic. Is this wrong?


Yes, you are correct. It cleans up the ovaries. Knocks off any excess follicular cysts by releasing the ova. Then when you insert the CIDR, you use Lutalyse to lysis the CL. However, the GnRH is given 7 days prior to inserting the CIDR and prostaglandin (Lut) is given at insertion.

This sounds off. You give a Lut shot when you pull the CIDR (or 1 day later) not at incertion???
Also, had not heard of GnRH 7 days PRIOR to inserting. Does this help? Is it better than giving it at time of insertion?


I apologize. You give GnRH And insert. Then give the prostaglandin at removal - 7 days later. To your question, the GnRH does clean up the ovaries. Knocks off any excess follicular cysts by releasing the ova. Then when you remove the CIDR, you use Lutalyse to lysis the CL.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9321
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Yup - that's better!! LOL
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:26 pm
Location: CA

Re: Cystorelin

Postby Double R Ranch » Thu May 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Many years ago a vet told me it didn’t matter for either GNRH or Lute.
We pay no attention anymore to an open bottle from season to season. Even use expired by months on our own herd in the past with no noticeable difference.
We do use a new needle each dose however and keep in the fridge.
0 x


Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest