Which SAV bull?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Which SAV bull?

Postby Air gator » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:16 am

Which of the younger SAV bulls will have the biggest impact? Or, for something measurable, which bull will be the highest ranked bull for registrations? Any of the younger bulls are eligible for consideration: Elation, President, Rainfall, Raindance, Reign, Sensation, Seedstock, Pedigree, etc.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Re: Which SAV bull?

Postby torogmc81 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Sounds like Raindance is on his way at the current time ...
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 pm

There does seem to be a buzz about Raindance and it sounds like he is the most fertile of the flush.
Just wondering what other bulls will stand out. SAV has so many that have great potential.
They have mixed it up a little with Rito 707 and XXP.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm not familiar with all of these bulls, but I think Raindance has a couple of possible advantages over some of the others from a marketing standpoint. First, ST Genetics has sexed semen available for Raindance (not sure if sexed semen is available on the others) so breeders have an opportunity to get more females out of this bull early on and find out what they might have in terms of maternal power for their herd. Second, I think I read somewhere that Schaff's are heavily using Raindance compared to the others, so they must really like something about him. Marketing plays a big role in helping these young bulls gain early popularity and ST Genetics seems to be promoting Raindance hard.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 am

I think the sleeper is going to be Extension, crossing XXP to 4136 should work. I have a bunch of calves on the way out of Reign a flush brother to Raindance and Sensation that should be interesting. SAV has so dang many good ones, I am still using Pioneer and Priority due to the maternal strength.

Edit Sensation is not a flush brother to Raindance but I have calves coming out of him.

Gizmom
Last edited by gizmom on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:42 am

Don't worry about the particular bull, it's the prefix that counts in early optimism. :roll:
0 x

W.B.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.B. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am

With young unproven bulls time will tell. I am not a fan of Charlo so I will not be running out to use any of the greatest flush in the world. Extension would be a possibility but I will wait and see on the XXP sons to see if an inbred bull will actually transmit that performance to the grand progeny. Time will tell there also.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Ebenezer,
People like brand names...groceries, clothes, fast food....it's just the way it is.
Once a breeder establishes himself it is much easier for him or her to market their animals.
From my own experience, I sold some heifers quickly because the buyers liked the prefix of the AI bull I used.
So, I feel like I benefitted from using one of their bulls.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 pm

What is the go with SAV bulls, their marbling always seems very low yet people like to use them?

Ken
1 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 pm

I think SAV benefits from having bulls like Final Answer and Bismarck. And now a lot of people like the eye appeal of Resource and Renown. Resource had the best foot score epds that I saw and Renown wasn't far behind him.
I asked an auctioneer who handled an Angus bull sale if people bought based on marbling.
He said one guy came to the sale knowing exactly which bull he wanted to buy based on marbling.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm

wbvs58 wrote:What is the go with SAV bulls, their marbling always seems very low yet people like to use them?

Ken

Most cow/calf producers focus on traits effecting $W and care little about marbling/carcass traits.
Marbling is viewed more as being for those who retain ownership all the way through.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Don't worry about the particular bull, it's the prefix that counts in early optimism. :roll:

I understand the sarcasm, but there is some truth to it.
A master program in breeding cattle becomes recognized for turning out a consistent 'type' or 'style' of cattle.
Consistency and the expectation of knowing what you're getting appeals to many buyers.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:48 am

Son of Butch wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:What is the go with SAV bulls, their marbling always seems very low yet people like to use them?

Ken

Most cow/calf producers focus on traits effecting $W and care little about marbling/carcass traits.
Marbling is viewed more as being for those who retain ownership all the way through.

Yes Butch, but why is it that SAV bulls seem to rate lower than other bulls on marbling? Is it just that they don't chase that trait? Are genomics confirming that low EPD?

Ken
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 am

Ken,
If it aint broke don't fix it. I guess what I mean is would you change direction if you were Kelly Schaff, $14,000 averages on yearling bulls don't happen everywhere..
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 am

Yes they probably are that bad on marbling to answer your question. I am not a big fan of genomics but if they have anything close to right it is the carcass DNA (Marbling, Ribeye, Fat) .
1 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”