Jindra Acclaim or 3F Epic 4631?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Jindra Acclaim or 3F Epic 4631?

Postby LCBulls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm

I agree that AI Sires should be tested for all the genetic defects.
We almost used EXAR Monumental, he now has 50/50 chance of being NHC.
It would be way too expensive to test all of our own bull calves for each defect though. It would be over $100-$200 bucks each.
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm

I would be willing to bet. EXAR Monumental will be NHF..

Big Event Sale Cows bred to Calve in Spring 2019
2 bred to Epic
33 bred to Monumental

At least 20 Fall 2018 Calves by Epic..

Something rotten in Denmark..
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:47 pm

jscunn wrote:I would be willing to bet. EXAR Monumental will be NHF..

Big Event Sale Cows bred to Calve in Spring 2019
2 bred to Epic
33 bred to Monumental

At least 20 Fall 2018 Calves by Epic..

Something rotten in Denmark..

Maybe so. But I’m pretty sure that they don’t know yet because it would be posted on his papers if he was NHF. As of right now it says (NHP) as potential carrier.
0 x

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Postby jscunn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Monumental is NHF, I didnt know they tested all sons/daughters of Epic with DNA on file. Results were released today..
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

*ggRe: Jindra Acclaim or 3F Epic 4631?

Postby gizmom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm

I would think if they are marketing semen that the bull was tested. See what happens when we
be nice u me anything. So a whole bunch of folks are out a pile of money flushing isn’t cheap, then the additional cost of your recip carrying a calf that is a carrier. I would be mad enough to stack BB’s.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:12 pm

jscunn wrote:Monumental is NHF, I didnt know they tested all sons/daughters of Epic with DNA on file. Results were released today..

Great news!
There’s the replacement for Epic then.
He will be super Hot now.
Last night Monumental was NHP, but as you say
He’s NHF now
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 pm

So if we calve any PB ET calves and they come back NHF, would that imply that they then couldn’t genetically carry it at all? Since they wouldn’t be a “carrier”? Or would we be creating problems going forward with offspring possibly being carriers?

This is all a learning curve.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Right on cue!

Calves by Epic have a 50/50 chance of being NHC.Anything that tests NHF can’t pass it on
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:06 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:So if we calve any PB ET calves and they come back NHF, would that imply that they then couldn’t genetically carry it at all? Since they wouldn’t be a “carrier”? Or would we be creating problems going forward with offspring possibly being carriers?

Once tested NHF you are good to go, no problems going forward.

Ken
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:37 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:So if we calve any PB ET calves and they come back NHF, would that imply that they then couldn’t genetically carry it at all? Since they wouldn’t be a “carrier”? Or would we be creating problems going forward with offspring possibly being carriers?

Once tested NHF you are good to go, no problems going forward.

Ken

That is good to know. I saw that because we beat the embryo removal date requirements, we’d still be able to register as long as NHF.
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 pm

I would not jump on the "Monumental" bandwagon yet. He is tested for NH, but they did not bother to spend a few more dollars to test him for AM,CA,OS,DD or any of the other easily testable defects. I imagine AAA is still doing more testing to find where the NH came from in his sire, Epic. It is entirely possible they will identify an error in his pedigree and he may end up being a potential carrier of other defects. That would then make Monumental a potential carrier. I can't believe Origen did not learn anything from their experience with Epic. I will never buy any semen from a company that fails to make a small investment in testing in order to protect their customers.
1 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Katpau wrote:I would not jump on the "Monumental" bandwagon yet. He is tested for NH, but they did not bother to spend a few more dollars to test him for AM,CA,OS,DD or any of the other easily testable defects. I imagine AAA is still doing more testing to find where the NH came from in his sire, Epic. It is entirely possible they will identify an error in his pedigree and he may end up being a potential carrier of other defects. That would then make Monumental a potential carrier. I can't believe Origen did not learn anything from their experience with Epic. I will never buy any semen from a company that fails to make a small investment in testing in order to protect their customers.

Good point, I believe that there has to be a mistake somewhere in his Pedigree.
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 pm

That is correct. They don't have the defective gene, so they cannot pass it on. In fact, you are safer using a bull tested as NHF with NHC carriers up close in his pedigree, than you are with an untested animal whose pedigree would appear to not contain any risks. Mistakes are made, and it is estimated that many pedigrees are inaccurate, for many different reasons.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”