Heifer Pregnancy EPD - Do you believe it?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Heifer Pregnancy EPD - Do you believe it?

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:33 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:I agree totally. No one bull would be good for our whole herd...we have mommas that need a little more milk and growth or that are a touch small in frame size.

That being said, thanks to all that posted those suggestions. We have seen tens of thousands of bulls over the years by the same side and seen VERY different outcomes...probably due to the female.

But riddle me this: how can FLUSH mates using the same sire not only have different numbers (in fact, how is it possible given the inputs) and WILDLY different looks and outcomes.

Nature is a funny thing...

I am a twin. My sister and I are not alike. Each flush is the same. That’s why IMO, it’s important to do the blood genomics. Those genetic markers tell us which genes our progeny has gotten. Moms? Dads? Maternal grandparents?
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 am

Air gator wrote:I know Brilliance is popular but I would have a tough time with a 4.9 HP epd.
War Party's milk epd is +40 so he would be expensive unless you had a cow that really needed a boost of milk.
Timeless 458's DMI epd is +1.62 so they might need a little feed.

Here's the benefit of a discussion like this: EPDs/numbers don't tell the whole story.
I am sure there are people on here who love cows out of these bulls with numbers that are crooked like the ones above.
I read a post from two breeders with Southside cows that said they were fat and easy-keeping but his $EN is -$33.00 and his DMI epd is +$1.54.
So, who/what do you believe?

I own an own daughter of War Party. Her milk EPD is 28 and as good as any cow on the place. Using a son of hers. She milks heavy but not in excess. Wish I had more daughters like her.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:28 am

Which of the pathfinder sires has the highest percentage of Pathfinder daughters? Some have a bunch of daughters but very few have made Pathfinder. Identify the bull that had the highest percentage and I think your getting to the good and valuable info.

NE I agree with you I am finding DNA is a great tool. I still believe actual performance measurements is the best tool, but appreciate the genomic test as well.
Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:00 am

hornedfrogbbq wrote:I agree totally. No one bull would be good for our whole herd...we have mommas that need a little more milk and growth or that are a touch small in frame size.

That being said, thanks to all that posted those suggestions. We have seen tens of thousands of bulls over the years by the same side and seen VERY different outcomes...probably due to the female.

But riddle me this: how can FLUSH mates using the same sire not only have different numbers (in fact, how is it possible given the inputs) and WILDLY different looks and outcomes.

Nature is a funny thing...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1435837246463636&set=a.944830912230941&type=3&ifg=1
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:46 am

Son of Butch wrote:Top 5 pathfinder sires under 11 yrs of age

Consensus 7229 9y 7m 138 of 1383 eligible daughters 9.98% hp 45% cem 85% $W top 3%

Hoover Dam 10y 7m 99 of 1314 eligible daughters 7.5% hp 40% cem 55% $W 30%

Werner War Party 10y 11m 55 of 432 dau. 12.7% hp 10% cem 35% $W top 2%

WMR Timeless 458 10y 7m 46 of 294 dau. 15.6% hp top 5% cem 65% $W 10%

SAV Brilliance 10y 6m 36 of 436 dau. 8.2% hp 95% cem 55% $W 10%

The Youngest rising stars? of pathfinder sires
Barstow Cash 7y 7m 14 of 79 dau 17.7% hp 10% cem 15% $W 40%
SAV Angus Valley 7y 7m 7 of 57 dau 12.2% hp 15% cem 65% $W 55%

seems Timeless and War Party have kind of flown under the radar as cow makers.
edited to add % of pathfinders per eligible daughters

Hoover Dam was marketed as a cow maker and Timeless was not.
Which makes me wonder IF Hoover Dam daughters were automatically kept as replacements and Timeless daughters
were probably sorted based on merit to be kept as a replacement female and perhaps that is why his % of pathfinder daughters is twice as high as Hoover Dam.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”