New AI Sires now require testing.

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby SPH » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am

What does AAA require for ET donor cows for defect testing? Guess I am a bit surprised that all breed associations aren't requiring mandatory DNA tests for defects with sires and ET donors at this point with the technology that is available. The Herefords have required testing on all bulls born after Jan 1, 2011 before their progeny can be registered including AI sires and ET donor dams. I know if you go back through Hereford pedigrees a lot of older sires have defect test results in their pedigrees too when some of the HY, IE, and Dilutor defects started to pop up and the association and breeders wanted to find the animal that was the source of it. I would not be surprised if there comes a day when any animal male or female that you want to register will be required to be DNA tested across any breed when you see stories like this one. These kind of things really damage reputations and hurt breeds when it could have been prevented before an animal was used heavily across many programs and herds.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:59 am

SPH wrote:What does AAA require for ET donor cows for defect testing? Guess I am a bit surprised that all breed associations aren't requiring mandatory DNA tests for defects with sires and ET donors at this point with the technology that is available. The Herefords have required testing on all bulls born after Jan 1, 2011 before their progeny can be registered including AI sires and ET donor dams. I know if you go back through Hereford pedigrees a lot of older sires have defect test results in their pedigrees too when some of the HY, IE, and Dilutor defects started to pop up and the association and breeders wanted to find the animal that was the source of it. I would not be surprised if there comes a day when any animal male or female that you want to register will be required to be DNA tested across any breed when you see stories like this one. These kind of things really damage reputations and hurt breeds when it could have been prevented before an animal was used heavily across many programs and herds.

Parentage (sire mandatory) and free of any potentional carrier defects.
0 x

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
SPH wrote:What does AAA require for ET donor cows for defect testing? Guess I am a bit surprised that all breed associations aren't requiring mandatory DNA tests for defects with sires and ET donors at this point with the technology that is available. The Herefords have required testing on all bulls born after Jan 1, 2011 before their progeny can be registered including AI sires and ET donor dams. I know if you go back through Hereford pedigrees a lot of older sires have defect test results in their pedigrees too when some of the HY, IE, and Dilutor defects started to pop up and the association and breeders wanted to find the animal that was the source of it. I would not be surprised if there comes a day when any animal male or female that you want to register will be required to be DNA tested across any breed when you see stories like this one. These kind of things really damage reputations and hurt breeds when it could have been prevented before an animal was used heavily across many programs and herds.

So the AAA had stricter guidelines in place for donor females than they did AI sires? That's interesting
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:51 pm

SPH wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:

So the AAA had stricter guidelines in place for donor females than they did AI sires? That's interesting

I believe only if you are selling embryos but yes... in order for anyone we sold embryos to, to have a registerable calf, those tests had to be done.

While we do have a few studs we have collected on and one of which is with Cattle Visions, I do not handle that side of things and is far beyond my understanding.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”