Spring Calves at Weaning

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Post Reply
User avatar
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Bovine breeder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 am

Image

Mill Bar Hickok heifer out of a great uddered, super fertile 4th calf cow.

Image

Hickok Heifer out of a first calf heifer.

Image

SAV Bruiser steer

Image

Another Hickok heifer out of a first calf heifer

Image

JBS Big Casino calf. 725lbs at 225 days

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Nesikep » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:17 am

I like the last two especially :)
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 245
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SE Kansas
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by T & B farms » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 am

Sure are some nice calves. How was the birthweight on those hickoks? Shaped nicely for heifers?

User avatar
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Bovine breeder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:52 am

T & B farms wrote:Sure are some nice calves. How was the birthweight on those hickoks? Shaped nicely for heifers?


Thanks. They were all small, less than 80lbs I’d guess. The calving ease is definitely real on him. And yeah, they have a lot of shape, easpecially the second heifer with the dot of white on her flank

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Lazy M » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 pm

That casino calf has some really thickness!

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Till-Hill » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Good luck with the Big Casino. I've thrown rest of my semen. His daughters terrible udders, or dont breed, calves are bat poop crazy, steers will grow. Dang I had alot of hope for that bull but 8-10 I've had 0 are left.

User avatar
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Bovine breeder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 am

Lazy M wrote:That casino calf has some really thickness!


Thanks! The picture probably doesn’t really capture it all I think.

User avatar
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Bovine breeder » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 am

Till-Hill wrote:Good luck with the Big Casino. I've thrown rest of my semen. His daughters terrible udders, or dont breed, calves are bat poop crazy, steers will grow. Dang I had alot of hope for that bull but 8-10 I've had 0 are left.


I’ve used him strictly as a terminal cross. He was the only one I had this spring and he came in 100lbs heavier than any other calf. That’s interesting about the docility of yours. His DOC epd is top 3% of the breed. Mine has been fine for that

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 822
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Till-Hill » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Bovine breeder wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:Good luck with the Big Casino. I've thrown rest of my semen. His daughters terrible udders, or dont breed, calves are bat poop crazy, steers will grow. Dang I had alot of hope for that bull but 8-10 I've had 0 are left.


I’ve used him strictly as a terminal cross. He was the only one I had this spring and he came in 100lbs heavier than any other calf. That’s interesting about the docility of yours. His DOC epd is top 3% of the breed. Mine has been fine for that
Buddy mine has had 30 of them, same story. They do grow, he does throw some white faces...........BUT a high % are nuts.

User avatar
Bovine breeder
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Spring Calves at Weaning

Post by Bovine breeder » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Got a few more pictures so I thought I’d share.

Image
Bruiser heifer. Not a great picture but you get the idea. Lots of middle to them

Image

Connealy Impression steer. He should’ve been a heifer!

Post Reply