Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
southernultrablack
Rancher
Rancher

Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Post by southernultrablack » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:38 pm

So I used cowboy Up on one of my PB Gelbvieh cows, she’s a big framed cow that raises nice calves. The pic is her first calf at 3 days old.This will be her third calf, and her udder is rough! She really needs to grow wheels after this calf, but I’m wondering how Cowboy Up will do at fixing udder problems? Would it be worth the risk to keep a heifer out of this mating or no? What say y’all?

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Cowboy Up,fixing an udder?

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:29 pm

This catalog has a picture of his dam, and paternal grand dam in it, if you want any idea of what their udders looked like.

http://hinmanangus.com/uploads/3/4/7/0/ ... atalog.pdf
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Packing house fixes feet and udders probably better than anything.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am

southernultrablack wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:38 pm
So I used cowboy Up on one of my PB Gelbvieh cows, she’s a big framed cow that raises nice calves. The pic is her first calf at 3 days old.This will be her third calf, and her udder is rough! She really needs to grow wheels after this calf, but I’m wondering how Cowboy Up will do at fixing udder problems? Would it be worth the risk to keep a heifer out of this mating or no? What say y’all?
I was being a bit snarky in my reply, but I do want to say that is a really nice young calf. I don't know how Cowboy Up is doing on udders, ask NEFarmerswife, she's got some older progeny, but all the heifers I've seen out of that bull are nice, nice, nice.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am

CreekAngus wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am
I was being a bit snarky in my reply, but I do want to say that is a really nice young calf. I don't know how Cowboy Up is doing on udders, ask NEFarmerswife, she's got some older progeny, but all the heifers I've seen out of that bull are nice, nice, nice.
My Cowboy Up is still a heifer. I think her udder looks just fine but I don't think anyone really has an answer to that yet... there was quite a discussion on milking daughters. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of input.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:38 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am
CreekAngus wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:51 am
My Cowboy Up is still a heifer. I think her udder looks just fine but I don't think anyone really has an answer to that yet... there was quite a discussion on milking daughters. Doesn't appear to be a whole lot of input.
And for what it is worth, my Cowboy Up heifer is MY favorite heifer and we got some really good pedigrees.

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kilroy60 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:39 pm

From our operation and what we look for, I'm not too impressed with Cowboy Up. However, I will say that is a fine looking calf.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pm

kilroy60 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:39 pm
From our operation and what we look for, I'm not too impressed with Cowboy Up. However, I will say that is a fine looking calf.
What was it that you didn’t like about him?

kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kilroy60 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:21 am

Looking at his pedigree, CW, Marb, and RE, Cowboy Up is lagging, in our opinion, in these areas. We like to see higher percentages in these areas in the 20%. But we also look at maternal aspects and production aspects when matching up to our female. Compare to SydGen Enhance and you'll see what I'm referring to. Again, nothing wrong with CU but just doesn't work with what we're breeding.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Yeah, those two bulls are polar opposites. Enhance has an amazing EPD profile. We almost used him. Just couldn’t get past his phenotype when I saw his video.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm
Yeah, those two bulls are polar opposites. Enhance has an amazing EPD profile. We almost used him. Just couldn’t get past his phenotype when I saw his video.

Whenever I see that bull, I think TERMINAL. Enhance is an EPD super star like Peyton, but his phenotype is not what I want.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:27 pm

What is so terminal about enhance's phenotype in this video?

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:24 pm

jscunn wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:27 pm
What is so terminal about enhance's phenotype in this video?
His numbers scream terminal and everything from his mid section to the tail looks like a disaster. I would cull a young bull if he had that bad of hips and stride. But it’s to the eye of the beholder, a lot of people far smarter than me like him. I have a two step process with bulls, what do they look like when they are young (18 months) and what does the dam look like. Then I start really delving into numbers, progeny and what farms are using them. Enhance as a young bull failed my eye test, but I am starting to wear glasses now a days.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:36 pm

That is how I see him also. He looks really large framed and has no rear end. I’d use him if I was guaranteed Bulls/Steers. Not sure I could keep any heifers unless they were out of smaller/ moderate cows with a really nice hind quarter.
We did get a few nice Acclaim heifers by breeding this way, but I wouldn’t try it again on a large section of the herd. Too many throw always. I’m sure that he’s what a lot of guys are looking for. Hard to beat his EPDs though.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 am

I don't see what you guys do, the stride is pretty darn smooth when is passing in front of the grain bin. As far as muscle goes he isn't the heaviest muscled bull I have ever seen but you guys are missing the fact he is in working clothes instead of all fattened up standing in a pen full of straw, a lot of the "muscle" you see in cattle nowadays is the of the white variety.

I thought it took a lot of guts to post a video of a bull that green walking on dirt, hats off to Mogck or whoever did it.