Farrier income

All about horses.
Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Farrier income

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 am

Bigfoot wrote:Excellent training program:

That sounds about right. While I was in shoeing school, there was a stripper from Michigan that came to take the two week shoeing for dummies course. I was in charge of keeping an eye on her while she worked on her test horse. I was shoeing a draft horse in the stocks right next to her, and she kept getting a front foot out too far to keep her horse comfortable. I had advised her several times, but she was having none of it. The horse rared, the stripper lady fell over on my stocks, the horse came down on her femur. It was pretty dang bad, but I got her drug out and loaded on the ambulance. I finished her horse without so much as a wiggle. The way the farrier education system is set up to crank dummies out every two weeks contributes to the problem of less than responsible horse shoers. I still say that the main trouble is that nobody wants to work like that anymore.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MRRherefords » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:25 am

Our farrier just raised the prices for everything. She said that equipment cost has risen.

Canadianfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Canadianfarmer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:46 am

I am a full time farrier six days a week plus I hold the contracts for two race tracks and we still raise cattle on top to make ends meet ! The reason there isn't more .. here we go

Canadianfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Canadianfarmer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 am

Clients that rnt ready for there appt ( horses they can't catch or r coverd in mud or so on ) then u have the il mannerd kicking biting or striking with owners that say it's cute but don't have a clue how to Correct it or thinks there just playing !

Canadianfarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Canadianfarmer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 am

And then the next client is mad when we're running late from bad behaved horses or extra horses or clients running late . But yup it's my fault lol

GusPeterson
Beginner
Beginner

Post by GusPeterson » Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 pm

I am a farrier, up until a few months ago it was my full time job. Now it’s a few days a week. My favorite reply is “do you know any rich old farriers” when someone says that I make all this money. I gotta tell you it’s not worth it. Overhead is ridiculous, people are hard to get along with, your phone never stops, and when it’s all said and done, at the ripe old age of 26 after you’ve shod about 5000 of them, things pop and creak at every joint of your body and your good clients that have now become your friends won’t let you quit.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm

you gotta know the two duct tape tricks

This one, for the horse, I'm not sure if it really works

And this one I'm sure is the more effective one
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Post by Rafter S » Wed May 20, 2020 2:30 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:05 pm
talltimber wrote:Backbreaker and spoiled horses I imagine.
. . . . Aside from the labor intensive nature of the job and poorly behaved horses, the horse PEOPLE were tiresome. Horse people are notorious for not paying on time, being late, ect. I think eventually he just got sick of the BS. . .
That reminds me of decades ago when my father was managing a ranch near here. The fences were in bad shape when he took over, and he was buying a lot of cedar posts. When his post guy delivered some posts one time Dad said he had a neighbor that wanted some, so would he deliver them to the neighbor, and leave a bill, and the guy would send him a check. The post guy looked at him and asked "Is your neighbor a cattleman, or does he have horses?" Dad replied that he ran cattle. The post guy said "Okay, then I'll do that, but if he had horses he'd have to pay cash on delivery."
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by SBMF 2015 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 pm

If I was 6" shorter I'd try my hand at being a Farrier. I do my own. I'm not fast, but I always show up when my horse's feet need work. My problem is that I like short quarter type horses. 45 minutes after I'm done trimming I'm still bent at a 90°.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu May 21, 2020 10:28 pm

SBMF 2015 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:42 pm
45 minutes after I'm done trimming I'm still bent at a 90°.
We have that in common for sure.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu May 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Yep, I've never shod a horse, but trimming cow hooves gets old real fast, which is why I'm paying more attention to hoof structure.. I just have one cow with bad hind hooves now, and I think it's from an old injury/infection causing them to grow a bit weird
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens