Western OK fires

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Western OK fires

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 pm

Looks like I will be flying out Wednesday to help manage some of the firefighters. Don't have any details yet. I gave 44 years experience in wildfires so maybe i can be a little help. Hope you get rain even before i get there.
5 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Looks like I will be flying out Wednesday to help manage some of the firefighters. Don't have any details yet. I gave 44 years experience in wildfires so maybe i can be a little help. Hope you get rain even before i get there.

Safe travels Kenny. I'm sure you will be of help.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:19 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Looks like I will be flying out Wednesday to help manage some of the firefighters. Don't have any details yet. I gave 44 years experience in wildfires so maybe i can be a little help. Hope you get rain even before i get there.

We have been blessed with the outside crews that have came in from a wide area both in state and out of state. Hate you have to visit our area under these circumstances but know your expertise will be appreciated.

Supposed to be 92 with wind gusts to 44 mph and humidity in the single digits tomorrow and then 20 degrees cooler Wed and a decrease in the wind speeds. There was a flare up this afternoon where there had been fires Thursday and Friday. On the river they say they will burn until it rains and the winds die down.

Have safe travels. Jay
0 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Tomorrow is going to be a long day, my area could be in the cross hairs tomorrow. Fires have burnt south and west of us with south west winds expected. Grandson texted us tonight and told us to be ready, he's been out fighting fire everyday since Thursday evening.

Kenny I hope your help isn't needed by the time you get here, but I believe it still will be needed. We've had a lot if help come in and it is all appreciated, and we appreciate your help.
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 am

Kenny

Stay safe, I know your expertise will be appreciated. At this point all I can do is continue to pray for all in the path of these fires as well as those, risking their own safety to help fight them.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:56 am

Today and and until Wed evening the winds will be strong and conditions right for more fires and the current fires to spread. Hopefully after that things will slow down some. Judy has already called this morning but hasn't heard any updates yet. It was her cousins place where the flare up was last night. And today everyone with grass that hadn't burned will be nervous. The high winds will increase the possibility of new fires starting. Prayers now are needed.
Allen I'm praying the fires miss you and everyone else today. Looked at my weather sources and they are saying light winds Thursday and a chance of rain starting around 1 AM Friday morning.
I will try to post any updates as I hear them today. Jay
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am

Just read where the houses threatened last night were spared but that there is still a threat today. So again continued prayers are appreciated.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 am

Don't know about Oklahoma but down here the wind has been blowing like a storm for over a week. Not good weather for trying to put out a wildfire.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:34 am

Prayers continue for your area and people and animals. We had a "small" fire in Rockingham Co. Va along the W Va border. 1000 acres or so but it is more mountainous area. Rain from the storm really helped on Sun/Mon to get it 90% contained. But it is indicitive that there are alot of dry areas here too. This rain will help alot but it is still dry for this time of year. I cannot imagine the temps and winds that you are getting out there, and how fast a fire can race across the flatter terrain.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:36 pm

elkwc wrote:Just read where the houses threatened last night were spared but that there is still a threat today. So again continued prayers are appreciated.

5 of us and 2 brush trucks and my truck will be in Weatherford by tomorrow evening. Hope you don't have anything for us to do. I'm 80 miles from the Mississippi river tonight and staying the rest of the night. Good luck to all
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:50 am

kenny thomas wrote:
elkwc wrote:Just read where the houses threatened last night were spared but that there is still a threat today. So again continued prayers are appreciated.

5 of us and 2 brush trucks and my truck will be in Weatherford by tomorrow evening. Hope you don't have anything for us to do. I'm 80 miles from the Mississippi river tonight and staying the rest of the night. Good luck to all

Kenny I'm sure that there will still be plenty to do. But they are predicting a big decrease in wind speeds this evening and overnight. The rain for the western OK area they say may not start until late Friday afternoon/evening. Fires here is KS sprung up everywhere yesterday. They evacuated two towns N/NE of Elkhart last night. Read this morning they have that fire under control. Saw pictures of several more fires that was fought yesterday and last night here in KS, the OK Panhandle, the TX Panhandle along with the ongoing fires in NW and West central OK and new ones that pop up. Looks like another busy day today until evening at least.Have seen many pictures of lost equipment. The winds have been changing directions which makes them even harder to fight along with increasing the risk fighting them. Maybe tomorrow with the decreased winds they can gain some on them. Prayers are still needed for rain. I feel that until we get that the fire danger is going to be extreme. I hope I can bring a better report tomorrow.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:09 am

The report this morning raised the acreage to almost 262,000 acres for the Rhea fire which is the largest.
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher

Postby elkwc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

The OCA just stated they estimate the loss of cattle at over 30,000 hd now and expect that number to rise. Maybe this will better show the size of the damage these fires have left behind.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:22 pm

elkwc, I'm praying for you & your community. No, you won't see much in the national news, just like last year when western KS was devastated. KS is rallying for you & sending as much hay/supplies as possible.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:03 pm

In staying in Clinton, OK tonight. Headed north tomorrow I think.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”