How does the bull look?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: How does the bull look?

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

herofan wrote:I don’t think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor’s one year who had a registered bull; I don’t know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?

It might have something to do with the quality of the photos you posted. If you want a good review you need good photos rather than any old snapshot.

Ken
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:32 am

herofan wrote:I don’t think I have ever gotten a glowing critique from bull I have ever posted, but my calves have always sold above the average prices of the time for the last several years. My calves even brought higher than my neighbor’s one year who had a registered bull; I don’t know about other years, we only discussed the one year. So, with all the negatives mentioned in this bull, if he produces a calf and it sells at a good price, do the negatives really matter? Would there be any gains in selling him and getting one that someone would appear to have all the right stuff?

Looks like a bull calf that was just pasture raise and not helped out with a feed bucket to me. If you don't supplement feed a young bull prospect they won't look good. But there's nothing wrong with the calves they produce.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:

Looks like a bull calf that was just pasture raise and not helped out with a feed bucket to me. If you don't supplement feed a young bull prospect they won't look good. But there's nothing wrong with the calves they produce.

That is what I was going to say. Looks like a bull that has struggled to get where he is. Also, Ken's comment about a good picture is spot on. I have had beautiful cattle that I took pictures and I would NEVER let anyone see the picture because it did not represent what they looked like in real life.
Saying all that, his testicular development is still an indication of late maturing, and would not want replacement heifers from a bull with small nuts.
And sorry if you are offended by the comments, but the pictures you posted appear to be an inferior quality animal if you are looking for a breeding bull.
edit: can you see the quality difference between your bull and the other ones posted? Maybe a lot of difference is nutrition, but not all.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:48 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

That is what I was going to say. Looks like a bull that has struggled to get where he is. Also, Ken's comment about a good picture is spot on. I have had beautiful cattle that I took pictures and I would NEVER let anyone see the picture because it did not represent what they looked like in real life.
Saying all that, his testicular development is still an indication of late maturing, and would not want replacement heifers from a bull with small nuts.
And sorry if you are offended by the comments, but the pictures you posted appear to be an inferior quality animal if you are looking for a breeding bull.
edit: can you see the quality difference between your bull and the other ones posted? Maybe a lot of difference is nutrition, but not all.

I’m not offended; it’s what I expected. He was given feed up to about 7 months and he’s been on pasture since.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 am

herofan wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Looks like a bull calf that was just pasture raise and not helped out with a feed bucket to me. If you don't supplement feed a young bull prospect they won't look good. But there's nothing wrong with the calves they produce.

I’m not offended; it’s what I expected. He was given feed up to about 7 months and he’s been on pasture since.

Try doing that the other way around on the next one.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm

As you spoke of your neighbors registered bull. Yes that history really helps in knowing what to expect. But those papers don't make the animal good. I hauled a bull off with really good papers this past spring. I bought him as yearling and in my opinion he grew into a total pos. I ate the price and tryed again.
2 x

Return to “Breeds Board”