Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4316
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:56 pm

They sell heifer bulls everyday of the week. Why someone would waste a calf crop with a corriente, or LH bull is beyond me.

If you want a bull that has light BW, I have one standing in my pasture. Out of 25 calves this spring only 4 were above 80 lbs., on mature cows. Had one come in at a massive 42 pounds!
Got his son for sale.
Born 09-24-2017
68#BW
583 adj. WW
1017 adj. YW
Solid black 3/4 Sim- 1/4 Ang, smooth shoulders, good flex in his hip, small head. Got all the parts for calving ease. Out of a bull built for maternal qualities, and a cow with strong angus background.
$1850 out the door.
3 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby Muddy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:08 pm

I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.
1 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15580
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Muddy wrote:I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.

:???:
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4316
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Muddy wrote:I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.

:???:

I guess I could turn him in on some heifers, and then he would be a proven "proven" heifer bull. :lol: ;-)
I could also sell you his dad, Muddy, if you want a proven heifer bull with offspring.
5 yo on 10/15
PB 31/32 Simmental
73# BW
782# adj. WW
1135# adj YW
2100#ish current weight
Avg. actual BW on 66 calves- 73#

$3000 out the door. :D
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby Muddy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:50 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Muddy wrote:I'd rather buy a proven heifer bull with calves on ground than a virgin "proven" heifer bull with no offspring.

:???:

I guess I could turn him in on some heifers, and then he would be a proven "proven" heifer bull. :lol: ;-)
I could also sell you his dad, Muddy, if you want a proven heifer bull with offspring.
5 yo on 10/15
PB 31/32 Simmental
73# BW
782# adj. WW
1135# adj YW
2100#ish current weight
Avg. actual BW on 66 calves- 73#

$3000 out the door. :D

Thanks for your offer but I prefer Herefords now.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby callmefence » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:They sell heifer bulls everyday of the week. Why someone would waste a calf crop with a corriente, or LH bull is beyond me.

If you want a bull that has light BW, I have one standing in my pasture. Out of 25 calves this spring only 4 were above 80 lbs., on mature cows. Had one come in at a massive 42 pounds!
Got his son for sale.
Born 09-24-2017
68#BW
583 adj. WW
1017 adj. YW
Solid black 3/4 Sim- 1/4 Ang, smooth shoulders, good flex in his hip, small head. Got all the parts for calving ease. Out of a bull built for maternal qualities, and a cow with strong angus background.
$1850 out the door.


Is he beefy??
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby DCA farm » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 pm

I've I was looking at breeding 15-20 heifers I could see it being worth buying a bull for them. I'm talking about breeding 3 heifers the calves off the 3 of them combined wouldn't cover the cost of buying a proven heifer bull just to use on the 3 of them reason I'm considering using the bull my uncle offered due to it not costing me a dime outta pocket just a little grass time. The bull I have ain't ever been bred to heifers reason I don't want to use him
2 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 417
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby 5S Cattle » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Where you located?
0 x

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby DCA farm » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:50 am

South west Louisiana
0 x

southalberta
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby southalberta » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Just use the corriente a calf is better than no calf.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Local market takes 40% off the value of a good calf for longhorn and Corrientes are worse. Been there, done that, ain't going back.
5 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13584
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby Nesikep » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:39 am

gcreekrch wrote:Local market takes 40% off the value of a good calf for longhorn and Corrientes are worse. Been there, done that, ain't going back.

yep, I'd rather have to assist a heifer here or there and then never again have to worry about if they can calf or not.. that's part of the reason I'm able to have 120 lb calves from moderate cows and 140 from larger cows.. well.. I've tried to get them to tone it down but they don't listen.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby DCA farm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 am

Hard to assist when your 9 hours away from the house every other 2 weeks. I've figured out the solohtuon in gonna sale em and buy bred cows instead.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby elkwc » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 am

Nesikep wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:Local market takes 40% off the value of a good calf for longhorn and Corrientes are worse. Been there, done that, ain't going back.

yep, I'd rather have to assist a heifer here or there and then never again have to worry about if they can calf or not.. that's part of the reason I'm able to have 120 lb calves from moderate cows and 140 from larger cows.. well.. I've tried to get them to tone it down but they don't listen.
. The dock we have seen isn’t near that high. I’ve posted what ee’ve received before and know others have said they receive more of a dock than we do. We worked 22 head of March/ April 1/4 bloods yesterday. They are all weighing over 5. By the time we sell in Dec the steers wii be aavrage over 7 and bring over a 1000 dollars at current prices. Of course they are out of some top quality heifers. May keep the Black baldies.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22858
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Corriente bull for beef heifers????

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 am

gcreekrch wrote:Local market takes 40% off the value of a good calf for longhorn and Corrientes are worse. Been there, done that, ain't going back.


Back forty cattle bring back forty prices.
5 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests