Clean Up Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Clean Up Bull

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:I’m trying to figure out what the relationship between inyati and brookhill is that he feels the need to pander, create stories, and talk the bull up.
Let the bull speak for itself.

I’d love to own a talking bull. I’d name him Ed.

You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Post by littletom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Whats on that one in the back ground? Looks like a milk cow collar or something.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

littletom wrote:Whats on that one in the back ground? Looks like a milk cow collar or something.

It's where he attaches the anchor to slow the cow down, so the bull can catch up. :lol:
"While we recognize that the subject did not steal any horses he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:44 pm

I feel highly confident that if you put our bull in with 20 healthy heifers or cows, he would settle them all in a 60 day window, and still look like a real stud.

Providing the females were within an acceptable BCS, cows ~40 days postpartum and it didn't take more than two days to travel an extremely rugged pasture horseback, I'd consider him a dud if he didn't settle 20 or more in a 45 day window. If he's done his job he'll look a little rough. Goes with the territory doncha know...pun intended.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm

76 Bar wrote:
I feel highly confident that if you put our bull in with 20 healthy heifers or cows, he would settle them all in a 60 day window, and still look like a real stud.

Providing the females were within an acceptable BCS, cows ~40 days postpartum and it didn't take more than two days to travel an extremely rugged pasture horseback, I'd consider him a dud if he didn't settle 20 or more in a 45 day window. If he's done his job he'll look a little rough. Goes with the territory doncha know...pun intended.

I am highly confident you wouldn't get those results here. He might have a heart attack just walking up the hill to the pastures. He might survive being turned out here but It would be a serious weight loss program.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Well, what started out as a joke has become VERY SERIOUS. Our bull, AKA "Big Wayne" has been scrutinized to the Nth degree. I'm starting to wonder if I should trade him in at the yards for this guy.

I've heard a lot about "melting", but the only thing he melts is hearts.

You asked to see if Big Wayne has any moves, well, take a look at this video and you tell me....

https://youtu.be/QPJw0JuBmo4
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:00 pm

If the last post wasn't enough for you here is more. Imagine being a cow on Brookhill and hearing Bob Segar's "Come to Papa" playing while Big Wayne is approaching. LOL!

https://youtu.be/dwMPXZ-BNzw

"Come to Papa" by Bob Segar

https://youtu.be/vz43qV0SAx4
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:24 am

Brookhill Angus wrote:Well, what started out as a joke has become VERY SERIOUS. Our bull, AKA "Big Wayne" has been scrutinized to the Nth degree. I'm starting to wonder if I should trade him in at the yards for this guy.

I've heard a lot about "melting", but the only thing he melts is hearts.

You asked to see if Big Wayne has any moves, well, take a look at this video and you tell me....

https://youtu.be/QPJw0JuBmo4

James, relax. The point is that if you work the bull hard enough, he will melt, at least some!

I notice this winter, a couple of my cows have lost some weight. I fall calve and the hay this year is awful. Mine tests 8 percent protein. The County Agent has told me that hay tested lower this year because of the excess rain. Most of it over matured before it was harvested. When I wean and go back out on grass, they will become over conditioned and the cycle starts over.

I notice your bull on grain. I have to wonder if he needs that. If your pasture is like mine, he would probably still be over conditioned just on forage.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Post by Supa Dexta » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 am

Brookhill Angus wrote:If the last post wasn't enough for you here is more. Imagine being a cow on Brookhill and hearing Bob Segar's "Come to Papa" playing while Big Wayne is approaching. LOL!

What in the h3ll are you going on about. This board gets stranger all the time.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 am

He sure has a nice waddle about him.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:46 am

Going back to the Holstein & Jersey steers. The dairy breeds will marble better than Angus. And as a finished steer, yes the Holstein can look pretty good. But, your ribeye will be maybe half of what an Angus RE will be. I think yield of red meat in the form of steaks won't compare to an Angus, unless the length can make up for it.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Going back to the Holstein & Jersey steers. The dairy breeds will marble better than Angus. And as a finished steer, yes the Holstein can look pretty good. But, your ribeye will be maybe half of what an Angus RE will be. I think yield of red meat in the form of steaks won't compare to an Angus, unless the length can make up for it.

I've often wondered what a Holstein would look like undressed. They sure look good on the hoof.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:10 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Going back to the Holstein & Jersey steers. The dairy breeds will marble better than Angus. And as a finished steer, yes the Holstein can look pretty good. But, your ribeye will be maybe half of what an Angus RE will be. I think yield of red meat in the form of steaks won't compare to an Angus, unless the length can make up for it.

I've often wondered what a Holstein would look like undressed. They sure look good on the hoof.

Plenty of osso bucco which is pretty much the best cut of beef you can get in my opinion!

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:
Brookhill Angus wrote:If the last post wasn't enough for you here is more. Imagine being a cow on Brookhill and hearing Bob Segar's "Come to Papa" playing while Big Wayne is approaching. LOL!

What in the h3ll are you going on about. This board gets stranger all the time.

It's only entertainment.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm

I am highly confident you wouldn't get those results here. He might have a heart attack just walking up the hill to the pastures. He might survive being turned out here but It would be a serious weight loss program.

Don't get too cocky. :lol: Home raised bulls pardon the pun took it in stride. Bulls from hot shot nationally known outfits that occasionally got on us thankfully wilted like yesterday's rose, covered in ticks & lice, shivering uncontrollably and essentially looked like death warmed over when we picked them up. :clap: Which is to say, horses for courses. ;-)
Can't figure out how to post pics of the environs or would do so.