Angus breeders...For what it's worth....

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Angus breeders...For what it's worth....

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm

This post may be of more interest to registered Angus breeders than other folks. Even with that said, I would definitely use Elation on other breeds.

According to Angus Assoc today, this is the FIRST SAV Elation daughter in the world that is Angus GS tested and parentage proven. If you go to AAA and look at SAV Elation 7899, you will see that he has 1 genomic progeny.

Link is here:

http://bit.ly/2F7p5nd

Then go and look at our Miss Burgess daughter, link is here

http://bit.ly/2HnQNQf

Unlike the recent university scandal, there were no special favors here. I called the super nice folks at Square B Ranch, told them I wanted Elation semen, and they got right on it. That was the first time I ever spoke with them. They went out of their way to help me, a NOBODY, according to some in the Angus business (NE...). This proves initiative still has a place in the world, even though it seems like it doesn't.

Anyway, Elation is the real deal, and I would highly recommend him. The calves look great, we have two daughters right now with more calves on the way. The 2nd daughter has her DNA already sent away this week.

Here are photos and a Youtube video.

Video link:

http://bit.ly/2TFWPlX

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus breeders...For what it's worth....

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:23 pm

No offense, but how do you know Elation is the "real deal", and would "work well on other breeds" when he is unproven at 38%acc, and only has 1 calf?
“The dream is ended- this is the morning.”

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm
This post may be of more interest to registered Angus breeders than other folks. Even with that said, I would definitely use Elation on other breeds.

According to Angus Assoc today, this is the FIRST SAV Elation daughter in the world that is Angus GS tested and parentage proven. If you go to AAA and look at SAV Elation 7899, you will see that he has 1 genomic progeny.

Link is here:

http://bit.ly/2F7p5nd

Then go and look at our Miss Burgess daughter, link is here

http://bit.ly/2HnQNQf

Unlike the recent university scandal, there were no special favors here. I called the super nice folks at Square B Ranch, told them I wanted Elation semen, and they got right on it. That was the first time I ever spoke with them. They went out of their way to help me, a NOBODY, according to some in the Angus business (NE...). This proves initiative still has a place in the world, even though it seems like it doesn't.

Anyway, Elation is the real deal, and I would highly recommend him. The calves look great, we have two daughters right now with more calves on the way. The 2nd daughter has her DNA already sent away this week.

Here are photos and a Youtube video.

Video link:

http://bit.ly/2TFWPlX
The video is cool. Congratulations
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:23 pm
No offense, but how do you know Elation is the "real deal", and would "work well on other breeds" when he is unproven at 38%acc, and only has 1 calf?
I know quite a bit about the dam the calf is from and her dam, and the dam before.

I feel pretty darn good about what is in the pedigree of Elation.

I have a recent calf out of our herd sire, which you have probably seen on here before. When those two calves are near each other, there is no comparison. It's night and day.

Elation is the real deal, and I'm going to stick to my guns on that one.

I respect your opinion however.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

For a guy who won't reveal his age for fear of hackers and identity thieves you certainly put out a ton of otherwise private information on yourself.

Nice calf.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Post by Bestoutwest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm

What happens when this calf is subpar, as in she comes up small or just isn't one you'd own? She's already registered with the big genomic panel done up, but what if she falls flat on her face in the next 6-8 months?
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm
For a guy who won't reveal his age for fear of hackers and identity thieves you certainly put out a ton of otherwise private information on yourself.

Nice calf.
Thanks

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:14 pm
What happens when this calf is subpar, as in she comes up small or just isn't one you'd own? She's already registered with the big genomic panel done up, but what if she falls flat on her face in the next 6-8 months?
I start over and try again.

As they say, there are no sure things in life except, death, taxes, and people who will always say “What if it fails”

I don’t think in the terms of failure. I’m generally a very optimistic person. If something turns out poorly on our operation we just look at it as a learning experience and move on, nothing else to do.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm

There is something to be said about using EXT influenced sires on more modern genetics. We have used this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxUxFcCqss from http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=519 and have liked the results so far. Even though they are too young to make a qualified decision on them. I'm heading over to Crouthamel's sale on Monday to check out some of the progeny of V910. I am pretty set on using him again, not this year, but next.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:11 pm

EXT, 707, 598, Righttime, EXT, XXP. Not a lot new there. At least you have proven ancestors to let you know what you might expect except for the huge differences in sire and dam on MM.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:11 pm
EXT, 707, 598, Righttime, EXT, XXP. Not a lot new there. At least you have proven ancestors to let you know what you might expect except for the huge differences in sire and dam on MM.
I missed you, where have you been?

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:02 pm
There is something to be said about using EXT influenced sires on more modern genetics. We have used this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sxUxFcCqss from http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=519 and have liked the results so far. Even though they are too young to make a qualified decision on them. I'm heading over to Crouthamel's sale on Monday to check out some of the progeny of V910. I am pretty set on using him again, not this year, but next.
I like him

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice chunky little calf BH. I can't see what you are referring to with the EPD's/Genomics. Nothing with the EPD's that actually blow me away.

Ken

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 pm
Nice chunky little calf BH. I can't see what you are referring to with the EPD's/Genomics. Nothing with the EPD's that actually blow me away.

Ken
I wanted the pedigree

Had I been going strictly for EPD’s I would have bred to SydGen Enhance or Byergo Titus, there are others but those two come to mind.

I may breed her in time to Byergo Black Magic using sexed semen, that would most certainly raise those epds quickly in the progeny.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:54 pm

The next big thing in the Angus bidness.