Charolais vs Limousin

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
farmfowls
Beginner
Beginner

Charolais vs Limousin

Post by farmfowls » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm

If we're talking purebred to purebred which would be best? In comparison to each other. If you could give me a list of pros and cons based on your experience or knowledge for each that would be great.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Charolais vs Limousin

Post by Ky hills » Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 pm

In my opinion they are somewhat similar in some ways and different in others. Within both breeds especially some older lines calving issues and lack of milk can be problematic. There are cattle in both breeds that are reliable in terms of calving and milk as well. To me one of the major differences would be in calf color if the bulls were used on commercial cows. Charolais calves would be diluted, whereas even with a red Limousin the calves from non red carrier black cows would be black.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 pm

my experience isn't vast but I would take limos just for general behavior. almost every char I have been around was crazy, only some limos have been. (talking crossed calves on range cows with a primarily Hereford background)

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Thu May 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Charolais: heavier, bigger boned, bigger weaning weights, bigger birth weights, mainly nice tempered, later maturing.
Limousines: higher kill-out%, more muscles.
Both breeds can be hard calved as well as easy calved, however, I'd never use Charolais on a heifer. Not possible with the bulls here. Can say that limousines have more milk than charolais, but in both breeds you can find lines with plenty of milk and lines with hardly any milk. Limousines are more lively in my experience. Both breeds are good moms.
Both breeds are quite different from my own experience. Also wouldn't recommend Charolais for a first time farmer. Mainly due to the calving. Have seen that some Charolais have been reduced in size and bone mass now, so they should be easier calved. Traditional Charolais average ~110-130lbs BW.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:29 pm
Charolais: heavier, bigger boned, bigger weaning weights, bigger birth weights, mainly nice tempered, later maturing.
Both breeds can be hard calved as well as easy calved, however, I'd never use Charolais on a heifer. Not possible with the bulls here. Can say that limousines have more milk than charolais, but in both breeds you can find lines with plenty of milk and lines with hardly any milk. Limousines are more lively in my experience. Both breeds are good moms.
Both breeds are quite different from my own experience. Also wouldn't recommend Charolais for a first time farmer. Mainly due to the calving. Have seen that some Charolais have been reduced in size and bone mass now, so they should be easier calved. Traditional Charolais average ~110-130lbs BW.
I wonder if your Charolais and Limousines are different than ours?
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

farmfowls
Beginner
Beginner

Post by farmfowls » Thu May 16, 2019 5:07 pm

HDRider wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm
lithuanian farmer wrote:
How do yours compare?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm

HDRider wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:06 pm
lithuanian farmer wrote:
From the pictures she's posted,they look it.
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Thu May 16, 2019 7:43 pm

We been breeding limis and Chars for a totally different market and management than the European markets and management styles.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Both breeds have been known for hard calving, poor dispo, low milk, lack of marbling
Both are heavy muscling, fast growing.
But, there have been major changes in both breeds and you can find lines that will give you what you are looking for. Color is the biggest difference as noted by Ky Hill
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Post by Lazy M » Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 pm

IMO limo cross better with Angus based cattle. Especially for replacements.

farmfowls
Beginner
Beginner

Post by farmfowls » Fri May 17, 2019 12:33 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm
Both breeds have been known for hard calving, poor dispo, low milk, lack of marbling
Both are heavy muscling, fast growing.
But, there have been major changes in both breeds and you can find lines that will give you what you are looking for. Color is the biggest difference as noted by Ky Hill
I thought that Limos had easier calving?

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 am

Plenty of the limousin did have easier calving. Most of the first wave of imports were easy calving, later some hard calving bulls were imported.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 am

Let's just say neither breed was known for CE (as well as the old Simmentals). Think about it. They had extreme muscling compared to the British breeds. Some still do.
Back in the 70's, everyone wanted to try these new muscle factories - so they tried them on their poorest junk dink and managed to reduce their supply of dinks by killing them in calving. Lots of different bulls available now. You can still find cow killers and also super easy calving bulls out there.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am

Not sure how everything went in your continent, but here years ago limousines were known for pretty easy calving, while charolais were the ones you should be very careful about (the same with belgian blues and simmentals) . Now there are some very easy calving limousine lines, but have appeared some lines with extreme muscles and hard calving. Charolais became abit easier calved and you can find some suitable for heifers, but very few use them on heifers... Limousine is a number one breed for heifers in my continent. Most are born small, slim and put on muscles quickly after being born.
Jeanne, my guess, why continental breeds became cow killers when first imported, is that traditional fullblood continental cattle have bigger birth weight than what is common on the other side of the ocean, plus cows there seem to be smaller. Have noticed that many in this forum have very small, and often tiny for me, calves. A medium calf is considered around 90lbs here and all cows and heifers have to be able to calve such calf unassisted.
If a bull has extreme muscles it doesn't mean that he'll be hard calved. Have seen some such bulls throwing tiny skinny calves, which start to put on muscles since the day one.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 17, 2019 10:48 am

Farmer - yes - that was kinda what I was getting at. Huge muscled, heavy BW bulls imported onto our British cows that were used to small calves. Continentals got a bad reputation right from the get go - but - it was the producers own fault. Like I mentioned, "most" did NOT breed this new unknown breed to their best cows. Yes, there were some with proper vision that utilized these new bulls and got the breeds established.