Thoughts about this heifer

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Thoughts about this heifer

Postby Nesikep » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:34 pm

I hate those kinds of choices.. but I think I'd get rid of her unless she has some spectacular bloodlines (Like WalnutCrest's frozen hoof heifer)... Also agreed that IF kept, I'd breed her this year.. I don't think she'd do well past about 6-8 years, so you might as well see if you can get the heifer you want sooner rather than later.. she's a nice size so it shouldn't be a problem.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 pm

We would breed her this year. Probably in september- october.
That's the most info we can get from the AI here. If you want more you need to buy semen from abroad yourself where are more information. Have used once easy calving Angus bull from the same company on heifers. All calved well. Definitely not using anything bigger than Angus for her. She can bring muscles on calf almost from nowhere.
She does have quite valuable genetics. Her dam is a top breeder in our herd and this heifer is in total her 3rd daughter. Have this girl's full sister incalf to our Limo bull due in fall. She has abit less muscles, but also has bigger birth weight and was born quite meaty,~ 110lbs. This girl was born very slim, 90lbs and in general we like this one much more.
So far she looks fine being out in the field with other heifers, but will watch her. She has injured her leg in October.
0 x

MarkH
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MarkH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Given what I have used in the past on similar heifers I would use a calving ease Red Angus on her. here are two Red Angus bulls that are worth looking at:
Proffit Builder: http://bullbarn.com/angredepd.asp?ID=467 Very good metrics on this bull.
000 Sirloin: http://bullbarn.com/angredepd.asp?ID=494 Note this bull has sexed semen available important if you want a heifer. Note the prices for these bulls are upfront.
Have you considered becoming adealer for AI companies once you become a vet? You could expand the quality of gentics available to Lativian beef producers and have viable business.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon May 08, 2017 12:56 pm

We wouldn't buy semen from abroad just for one heifer. At the moment can't afford spending much.

Not sure. Most likely just will be an AI technician. It'd take quite alot of time to be a dealer, while I want to work more in my own farm.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 pm

So, the heifer has been AI'd today with Black Angus. She's ~1150lbs+. Doing really fine, very mobile. She's now a nanny of weaned heifers. It looks that her injury won't affect her life much, except that she'll never meet bull.

Re-uploading her photo. Photo taken in summer. Will try to upload her recent photo later.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Her leg looks way better than earlier. She is slow and usually comes the last to the eat meal, but it's not due to the leg. Animals, which has similar conformation are usually pretty slow. Had several like this.
She's being a good "nanny" to the little sisters. :)

Her photo from this spring:
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:31 am

Update on this girl. Moving well. Now is with other two horned, but abit smaller heifers. However, she's the leader from all three. She's keeping her weight well with the injured leg. The only con is that she'll need her hooves trimmed.
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

She's a big girl! What are your plans for her?
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:23 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:She's a big girl! What are your plans for her?

Yes, she's pretty big. She was weighed in September and was 1100lbs, now could be around 1300lbs. Trying to breed her to an easy calving Angus bull. She was AI'ed yesterday and once more today to a Red Angus. Hopefully she'll stick.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:16 am

So she was AI'd back in October and she is still not settled. Lame and not breeding - cut your losses.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:So she was AI'd back in October and she is still not settled. Lame and not breeding - cut your losses.

In October we used drugs to stimulate her heat and there were too much of mucus and because of that some blood has appeared, so even our vet said that's a high possibility she won't be bred. She's not the one not settling quickly. Two from six heifers only haven't repeated after their first AI.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am

I know that many people would have culled her, but even if we would sell her for slaughtering we wouldn't get as much as we think she' worth. Very low prices for heifers. If she won't stick now, which should be very low possibility, will put her on a diet to loose some condition and if needed will keep with a young bull.
0 x

cattleman99
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cattleman99 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:I know that many people would have culled her, but even if we would sell her for slaughtering we wouldn't get as much as we think she' worth. Very low prices for heifers. If she won't stick now, which should be very low possibility, will put her on a diet to loose some condition and if needed will keep with a young bull.

Her value is slaughter price. You now have a lot of excess feed and time into her. Past time to cut your losses in my opinion, but good luck. Sometimes the best learning experiences are from situations like this.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 pm

- Invested too much already
- Won't get enough to sell her
- might as well dump more time and money in her

... You're being too emotional with her, emotions don't pay.

Some of the most profitable and longest lasting herds will all say the same thing 'cull ruthlessly'
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Not everyone are ruthless on culling cows.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”