What to look for when buying Brahman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 2:18 pm

TT what is value added never heard that term before
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri May 05, 2017 2:22 pm

http://www.cattle.com/markets/barn_repo ... e=TV_LS152
http://www.okeechobeelivestockmarket.com/market_report

Here's our local report and one in Florida for what it's worth, it's like comparing apples to oranges. And here's one for Iowa, and as you can see the cattle price is higher in Iowa than Texas, Georgia or Florida. Is that because Iowa has less Brahman influenced cattle? I think not.

http://www.cattle.com/markets/barn_repo ... e=NW_LS120
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:CB: what is the distance between each blade of grass out there? Is it measured in yards or miles?

Real far apart so far your cows would starve versus thrive producing more pounds of beef than any other state.

Dad said he was on a troop train going to the west coast during WWII. He said he saw places where grass was so scarce a jackrabbit had to pack its lunch.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:TT what is value added never heard that term before
:lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:34 pm

CP nailed it.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Another term they use in our area is "reputation cattle". That means the seller has a positive reputation for following protocols and delivering value added calves to the auction barn on a consistent basis. I'm proud my in laws earned that moniker and I'm doing my best to carry on the tradition.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:CB: what is the distance between each blade of grass out there? Is it measured in yards or miles?

Real far apart so far your cows would starve versus thrive producing more pounds of beef than any other state.

Dad said he was on a troop train going to the west coast during WWII. He said he saw places where grass was so scarce a jackrabbit had to pack its lunch.

That wouldn't have been in CB's neck of the woods. That was probably true in west Texas, but assuming east Texas is the same would be like saying that Florida must be like Arizona because they're both in the United States.
0 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

That wouldn't have been in CB's neck of the woods. That was probably true in west Texas, but assuming east Texas is the same would be like saying that Florida must be like Arizona because they're both in the United States.

I ask dad where it was. He didn't remember. The train took a northern route. Probably in Idaho or eastern Washington. Just joking with CB.
0 x
Diogenes.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:44 pm

0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Let's get some real perspective on cattle per acre
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 2:51 pm

M-5 wrote:Image
Let's get some real perspective on cattle per acre

Notice that area around Lexington, KY. Deep blue. No cattle. That is racehorse country. Too expensive for cattle.
0 x
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
:lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.

You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 05, 2017 3:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:

You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle

BS. Pure and simple. You yourself are always going on and on about how the average producer is down to thirty head or something like that. I'm supposed to believe that every one of them is vaccinating every calf to the point where buyers just accept that every calf in the area is value added?! :lol:
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't know anyone that is not BQA certified that was a big push by the county extension agents here in the tri county area over the last couple years.
But if there not that means it is even worse to raise your type of cattle cause them sorry Brimmers are beating them even worse. With higher prices and more pounds.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:

It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”