What to look for when buying Brahman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6913
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby M-5 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:15 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
cow pollinater wrote: :lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.

You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle


It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.


I would venture to say 75% of them are still done that way here.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I don't know anyone that is not BQA certified that was a big push by the county extension agents here in the tri county area over the last couple years.
But if there not that means it is even worse to raise your type of cattle cause them sorry Brimmers are beating them even worse. With higher prices and more pounds.

BQA and value added are two different things. Just because you give shots in the neck doesn't mean you vaccinate and wean.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 3:20 pm

TT that makes sense.
There are a few here that still do it that way.
Not many as the bottom of the price bracket is not nice.
With prices bottom out a year or so ago big push for better calves. It has shifted for low to average from average to high on quality.
Quite a few fly by the seat operations have ceased to exist around here due to low prices.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7288
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 05, 2017 3:21 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
cow pollinater wrote: :lol: Your barn door is open and your ignorance is on the loose. Value added is weaned, vaccinated, etc.

You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle


It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.


TT: there is a program that is a step up from the value added. Check with your county agent for the dates and Stockyards. It is a "certified" sale. The premium is greater than that paid for value added.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11675
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:You show yours as there is no such moniker here or has there ever been any of the seven that operated in the area. I guess it is just so uncommon to haul unvaccinated calves no one ever thought of it. I know of no one here that is not BQA certified must be common in your neck of the woods
My take away is after looking at these sales reports is these sorry Brimmers a buzzard wouldn't eat fetch as good if not more than these "fancy" eastern cattle


It is my understanding that historically cattle from the southeast had a bad reputation for being weaned on fumes right off the cow and hauled to the market for many decades hence the concerted effort to make buyers aware of who was following protocol and delivering a better calf.


TT: there is a program that is a step up from the value added. Check with your county agent for the dates and Stockyards. It is a "certified" sale. The premium is greater than that paid for value added.


I'll call Doyle at the Owenton yard and ask him.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 4:26 pm

It is weird to me y'all sell pens.
Here every calf runs through the ring with the order buyers bidding.
No matter the barn you haul to.
If you don't like the price on one PO it bring it back in a week or so if you
don't think it's fair.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11675
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:It is weird to me y'all sell pens.
Here every calf runs through the ring with the order buyers bidding.
No matter the barn you haul to.
If you don't like the price on one PO it bring it back in a week or so if you
don't think it's fair.


We can do the same here. You'll get a better price by selling in groups but there are a lot of singles going through as well.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 4:36 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:It is weird to me y'all sell pens.
Here every calf runs through the ring with the order buyers bidding.
No matter the barn you haul to.
If you don't like the price on one PO it bring it back in a week or so if you
don't think it's fair.


We can do the same here. You'll get a better price by selling in groups but there are a lot of singles going through as well.


Here they are sorted by size into pens yours mine everyone's.
Then they are ran through the ring.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:It is weird to me y'all sell pens.
Here every calf runs through the ring with the order buyers bidding.
No matter the barn you haul to.
If you don't like the price on one PO it bring it back in a week or so if you
don't think it's fair.

That's telling.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

What that tells you 92% of the cattle in Texas are in herds of 30 or less.
Last report if I remember correctly only 2% were in herds larger than 200 head.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5624
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Eastern OK

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby cow pollinater » Fri May 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:What that tells you 92% of the cattle in Texas are in herds of 30 or less.
Last report if I remember correctly only 2% were in herds larger than 200 head.

That's my point. I'm supposed to believe that every one of those is vaccinated and weaned?
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5787
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Marianna Arkansas (East Central)

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby jedstivers » Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I didn't read all 14 pages so it might have been said.
If your asking these questions then (and that's fine, you'll never know if you don't) don't buy off Craigslist or the auction.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11675
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:What that tells you 92% of the cattle in Texas are in herds of 30 or less.
Last report if I remember correctly only 2% were in herds larger than 200 head.


Same stat applies in Tennessee and Kentucky.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2399
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby WalnutCrest » Fri May 05, 2017 6:12 pm

...and probably most of the lower 48.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22751
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: What to look for when buying Brahman

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:What that tells you 92% of the cattle in Texas are in herds of 30 or less.
Last report if I remember correctly only 2% were in herds larger than 200 head.

That's my point. I'm supposed to believe that every one of those is vaccinated and weaned?


No your not.
I have actually seen better husbandry out of the majority of the small producers. There is no in between they are conditioned and slick or completely back 40 and not hard to recognize the difference.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Muddy and 8 guests