Heifers

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifers

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:09 pm

From 9 heifers 3 has calved already. All three had bull calves by our Limousine bull. Other six will have Red angus and Limousine calves from AI.
Here's the recently calved heifer with two days old calf. Calf should be around 80-85lbs. Calved unassisted. Heifer is 26months old, 62.5% Angus. Plenty of milk and quite protective mom.

Two heifers are due on the 1st of October with RA calves. Showing some serious signs of milk. Another (blue roan) is due on the 5th of October with RA calf from another bull.

Th roan one is a pretty small heifer. The bull she's in calf by has an yearling weight of 1433lbs, so it'll be interesting to see how her calf grows.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 am

Finally the first AI calves are on the ground. One heifer, 272days gestation, ~68lbs BW and one bull, 276days gestation, ~75lbs BW. Both sired By Red Angus bulls. Can't remember when we had such short gestations. :) Both calves were born max 15mins apart.
The bull calf:
Image The sire of the bull. Average calving, 77lbs BW, 766lbs-210days, 1311lbs- 365days age.

Heifer:
Image The sire. Easy calving, 75lbs BW, 210days- 766lbs, 365days- 1430lbs.
3 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 am

Nice heifers. What do estimate their weight at? It is hard for me to tell by pictures but they look over 1,200 to me in the pic. That is about what most of ours weigh and ours are usually larger than most around us.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 am

elkwc wrote:Nice heifers. What do estimate their weight at? It is hard for me to tell by pictures but they look over 1,200 to me in the pic. That is about what most of ours weigh and ours are usually larger than most around us.

The roan heifer is the smallest from the group. She shouldn't be over 1200lbs, but she does have quite a round body. The black one is bigger, she should be ~1350lbs.
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 am

lithuanian farmer wrote:
elkwc wrote:Nice heifers. What do estimate their weight at? It is hard for me to tell by pictures but they look over 1,200 to me in the pic. That is about what most of ours weigh and ours are usually larger than most around us.

The roan heifer is the smallest from the group. She shouldn't be over 1200lbs, but she does have quite a round body. The black one is bigger, she should be ~1350lbs.

I thought they were likely over 1,300. What age. We calve from 24-30 months. Prefer 28-30. Seems we have less trouble and they overall do better.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:57 am

The roan is 33months, black 29 months old. They are abit elder than we usually calve as we've waited for them to come home to the barn for the AI last year. We usually calved at 28-30months. Didn't have much trouble. Easier to pull a big calf out of bigger heifer. Next year will have heifers calving at 25-27months age, so will see how it goes. They should be 1300-1450lbs at the calving time, hopefully.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Forgot to post a video with the newborn heifer. Mom is really very calm and stood still when the calf was nursing. The other heifer was abit overwhelmed by the newborn, but today she seemed much calmer and saw her feeding her calf.
1 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:07 pm

lithuanian farmer wrote:From 9 heifers 3 has calved already. All three had bull calves by our Limousine bull. Other six will have Red angus and Limousine calves from AI.
Here's the recently calved heifer with two days old calf. Calf should be around 80-85lbs. Calved unassisted. Heifer is 26months old, 62.5% Angus. Plenty of milk and quite protective mom.

Two heifers are due on the 1st of October with RA calves. Showing some serious signs of milk. Another (blue roan) is due on the 5th of October with RA calf from another bull.

Th roan one is a pretty small heifer. The bull she's in calf by has an yearling weight of 1433lbs, so it'll be interesting to see how her calf grows.

I love love love that red white face heifer.
1 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 am

holm25 wrote:I love love love that red white face heifer.

Thank you, I like her alot too. She is Limox out of Herefordxdairy cow. The last calf her dam has raised and the second daughter. She was the one which had a very early udder formation, at five months gestation it looked almost like in the photo. Really were worried that she'll abort her calf. She was due on the same day as the black heifer and incalf by the same bull. Wonder if her calf will have any white. Her udder is still growing abit and ligaments aren't loose yet, so she probably has a week or so.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 am

Another Red Angusx calf was born today. Bull calf. 280days gestation. The sire is the same as the red calf's. Used that bull only on two heifers and both calves are bulls. Quite a pity... But well, our heifers usually have bulls for their first calf.
The next heifer is due on the 6th of November, so now will have a little break.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”