Solid white shorthorn

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11691
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Solid white shorthorn

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I visited the North American today, and there is a solid white shorthorn bull here. Phenotypically speaking, this bull is as impressive as I have ever seen. Not sure what roll they play in the industry, but he's easy to look at and watch move.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5119
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Genotypically, is he from a clubby pedigree like so many of the shothorns at shows are?
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11691
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Genotypically, is he from a clubby pedigree like so many of the shothorns at shows are?


That'd be a good guess. I picked him to win today. He won his class, and lost at the final. I figured his color or his age wasn't right though. I think he was 14 months old. They usually pick one of the older bulls to win.

I believe his feet and legs would hold up walking around our Ky hills though.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14763
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Genotypically, is he from a clubby pedigree like so many of the shothorns at shows are?


That'd be a good guess. I picked him to win today. He won his class, and lost at the final. I figured his color or his age wasn't right though. I think he was 14 months old. They usually pick one of the older bulls to win.

I believe his feet and legs would hold up walking around our Ky hills though.

His color will get him killed in the real world....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22072
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I visited the North American today, and there is a solid white shorthorn bull here. Phenotypically speaking, this bull is as impressive as I have ever seen. Not sure what roll they play in the industry, but he's easy to look at and watch move.


My old running buddy that died in January ran a herd of registered SH
he had quite a few solid white ones.
Here are a couple of his when I was feeding from him.
Several neighbors bought bulls from him.

Image
0 x

Cada22
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Cada22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I like the look of that blue roan but it would take a beating going to stockyard here in AL
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2248
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Muddy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Yup put a white shorthorn bull on your black cows and you'll get blue roan calves that don't bring much at most sales.... actually these roan calves are dirty cheap.
0 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6785
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm

I have a couple of neighbors that run a few white Shorthorn cows, along with their Angus and Hereford crosses. Every now and then I'll drive by and see a couple of those pretty little blue babies. A couple of times I've even seen some blue coloring in Holstein calves.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2837
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Contact:

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm

The white SH bull is: SRV QUIET MAN, ASA# 4233956. He's a Tibial Hemimelia carrier
Not a 'heifer ' bull, but not a horrible CE/BW deal. Just kinda 'middle of the road' for the rest of his epd profile; right around breed average for most traits.

We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs. No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer... but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart, and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.
I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous... most of what I see behind him is 'showring' stuff... I don't recognize a whole lot of 'commercially-oriented' stuff up close in his 4-generation pedigree.

30 years ago, when we were raising a bunch of Holstein calves, I got a couple of roan heifers - one red, one blue - from dairy clients who also had a Shorthorn herd, and ran a Shorthorn bull for cleanup behind AI on their Holstein herd. Those two sure were pretty...
0 x

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Lucky P pointed out the first big issue I have with this bull...He is a TH carrier. Even if I was into shorthorns, I would never use dirty genetics knowingly. Second, I have it on good authority (I know people who saw him at World Beef Expo as well) that say aside from his color being an issue for some, he is very small footed for the mass he carries. Personally, based on the pictures alone from both shows, he is carrying way to much condition to be evaluated very effectively.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8362
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 am

I have to admit that I LOVE the Blue Roan coloring. Always have.
I'm surprised that with all the years possible to upgrade in the Simmental breed, someone could have come up with a PB blue roan bull!! I wouldn't breed to him just for the color, but if he was also really good, I would love to get some blues. It wouldn't ever hurt me on the steer end, because I sell direct to a feedlot, and he wouldn't care what color it was. Just so it performed like all my others.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4530
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am

Lucky_P wrote:We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs.
No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer...
but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.

I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous...

:lol2: you know more than me.

Bought a few cheap shorthorn cows a few years back, the white 1 was the one I had the lowest expectations for,
now she's the only one left of the group. She turned out to be the best one and I love her... a real Fertile Myrtle.
1 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22072
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:We've been using some solid red Shorthorn sires over some of our higher-% Angus cows for the past 7-8 yrs.
No whites or roans...I get smacked hard enough on the occasional red or RWM steer...
but I'm a 'red cow' guy at heart and like the red/rwm heifers when I get 'em.

I know just about enough about SH to be dangerous...

:lol2: you know more than me.

Bought a few cheap shorthorn cows a few years back, the white 1 was the one I had the lowest expectations for,
now she's the only one left of the group. She turned out to be the best one and I love her... a real Fertile Myrtle.


I know nothing of SH other than I fed them hay my neighbors white ones seem to have the best calves.
1 x

redcowsrule33
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 891
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:02 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby redcowsrule33 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I have to admit that I LOVE the Blue Roan coloring. Always have.
I'm surprised that with all the years possible to upgrade in the Simmental breed, someone could have come up with a PB blue roan bull!! I wouldn't breed to him just for the color, but if he was also really good, I would love to get some blues. It wouldn't ever hurt me on the steer end, because I sell direct to a feedlot, and he wouldn't care what color it was. Just so it performed like all my others.

I have decided that life is too short to not have a few cows I like to look at, which is why I have a few blondes and red & white Simmis along with my more modern lines. Get some Northern Legend 3N semen, use it on a few of your milkier homo black cows, and give yourself something to smile at.
1 x
The root cause of the majority of the problems in the world today is that common sense is no longer a prerequisite to staying alive.

Draper
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Solid white shorthorn

Postby Draper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:59 am

He’s a good looking bull w/ a combination of performance and some showier bloodlines. But as others have said, his TH status dismisses him from the consideration of most. A white bull like this will throw either solid black or red calves or the dark even roans everyone loves so much. If you could guarantee all even roans, you’d sure never have a problem garnishing a premium.
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests