Straightbreeding Angus

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Straightbreeding Angus

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:55 am

WalnutCrest wrote:Everybody has a different business model. The trick is knowing what you're doing and why, and not to get sidetracked by someone else somewhere else doing something different and telling you you're doing it wrong.

Truer words have never been spoken.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 am

Lazy M wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
Post Oak wrote:I like Brangus and they bring a lot to the table. The problem with the ones that have been around is docility. A few have been docile, but most have been snorters and pawers.

There are plenty of gentle ones. Don't give up on the breed because of a few bad ones. Mine are as gentle as anything out there.

Don't know much about brangus myself but there are a bunch of nice looking ones selling tomorrow:
http://superiorlivestock.com/onlineVide ... dium=email

Those are dandies. Is that about the upper reach (Fairmount, GA) for Brangus appeal?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:00 pm

in our country (central Virginia) a little bit of ear will get you a pretty good discount....regardless of the quality of the calf. I have a neighbor who raises straight Brahma...just cause she loves them...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 am

bse wrote:I don't think you have to cross breed just for pounds, you can outcross within a breed and do the same.
Air Gator I tend to agree with marbling to a point. If you retain ownership then yes I think that could really increase profits, but for the average producer around here they go to the sale barn so the only one that benefits is the feedlot, carcass bulls tend to be a little narrow, and lighter. For seedstock producers I think you need a variation of different type bulls, growth, heifer, balanced, carcass.
For most commercial producers its pounds.....

I'm in a similar camp. Our market dictates potload lots of black steers. If I can get 90% of my calves to go in one sort through a combination of tighter calving windows and more uniform genetics then that is the most profitable for me. Over the course of time we've had chars, sims, herefords, chi, gelbvieh, red angus, and black angus. The most profitable our herd has been is the higher % angus we get. Calves are more highly desired and our uniformity is incredibly better.

I'll admit we have some crossbred cows that did and have done a great job and wean off a great calf. But we have had just as many fail, there isn't the consistency. I think some day we will put a touch of simmy back in the herd but I need to find the right animal and honestly haven't put much effort into finding it.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:Everybody has a different business model. The trick is knowing what you're doing and why, and not to get sidetracked by someone else somewhere else doing something different and telling you you're doing it wrong.

Truer words have never been spoken.

A lot of wisdom there. I'm converting to Angus b/c it's available here, genetics wise, sells very well, and works for this environment. I've thought about going in a couple different directions (Simmental and Red Angus) but there's not a lot of guys that use them locally, and honestly, driving 8 hours to get a cow isn't my thing.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Return to “Breeds Board”