Bull pen

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bull pen

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Did you have a issue with the heels in his offsprings, or did you quit because he was shallow???
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:34 pm

I had some offspring that were shallow not all but some and had some other breeders that I respected tell me he was throwing shallow heels. I never saw the bull myself so can’t say for a fact he was deep or shallow. I can say for a fact I culled some cows out of him that were shallow, but I also have some really nice ones that have plenty of depth of heel. It could be the way some pedigrees stack up. I make sure when breeding his daughters that the sire has plenty of depth. 6595 was a cow maker, the good ones are really really good.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Had the vet out this morning to BSE the group of bulls. One didn't ejaculate (he was shy) the other all was good until he looked at the stain and he only had 60%. Both of these were deferred we will retest in two months. The rest all passed with flying colors. Three are already sold we were just waiting to get the BSE prior to delivery. We have several customers that were waiting until we got the BSE done before they come. Another chore completed yea!

gizmom
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Fine looking bulls. Really like that one in the 3rd picture.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Great group - great breeding program.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks! We sure try I know it will be time to retire if We don’t get excited about our next calf crop. I am already looking at the calves and picturing them as bulls and bred heifers. I think I have an addiction!

Gizmom
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

gizmom wrote:Thanks! We sure try I know it will be time to retire if We don’t get excited about our next calf crop. I am already looking at the calves and picturing them as bulls and bred heifers. I think I have an addiction!

Gizmom

Join my crowd.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:32 pm

gizmom wrote:Thanks! We sure try I know it will be time to retire if We don’t get excited about our next calf crop. I am already looking at the calves and picturing them as bulls and bred heifers. I think I have an addiction!

Gizmom

I'm always excited to see the first calf whether it is of the year, by a new sire or by a replacement we raised. And for me the excitement increases when we raised the heifer or cow. With every calf I'm always analyzing a cross and seeing if I want to do it again or move her to anohter bull. Even during the extreme cold we had we had to watch every morning we drove up to a pasture and the temps were single digits and there was a new one sucking. We have had one lose 2/3 of his tail but he is doing fine. When I stop getting excited they might as well put me in a pine box.
1 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:04 pm

I was reading through the Angus Journal today and came across this picture of a bull in the SAV sale in February. This is the natural calf out of the cow we purchased in November. She will be calving in April. She is going to be flushed and the first flush planned is to Make full sibs to the calf pictured. I am super excited!

Gizmom
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm

gizmom wrote:I was reading through the Angus Journal today and came across this picture of a bull in the SAV sale in February. This is the natural calf out of the cow we purchased in November. She will be calving in April. She is going to be flushed and the first flush planned is to Make full sibs to the calf pictured. I am super excited!

Gizmom

I would be excited also. It is evident you know good cattle and are intent on making them better. I always enjoy watching someone that has a breeding plan and watch it develop.
2 x

Return to “Breeds Board”