Winter 2017-2018

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Winter 2017-2018

Postby Backbone Ranch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 am

Elkwc- The dark heifer is one of my favorites too. She is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. Her mother is 9 years old now and has produced replacement quality calves year after year; in fact, she is one of our top cows. As a first calf heifer, she weaned a 620 lb bull calf.

plumber_greg- Yes. We have bred Tony to a few of his daughters. In fact, the 733 bull is the offspring of one of those matings. Tony is the only mature bull on the premises currently, but we have one of his sons coming on, and we are trying to produce an AI sired bull that is worthy of being a herdsire, so that we can incorporate some different genetics into the herd.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Winter 2017-2018

Postby Backbone Ranch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

plumber_greg wrote:Sounds like you're breeding Tony to his daughters?
Do all Murry cattle have small birthweights, or are you using calving ease?
Like the cattle. gs

Just realized that I forgot to answer your second question. And yes, Murray Greys are known for their calving ease, but the calves grow well. This fall, we had the lowest birth weights that we have ever had, but at the same time, these are also the best fall calves that we have ever had out of first calf heifers. We are not purposefully selecting for calving ease sires. I have no problem retaining a bull calf that was slightly heavier at birth, as long as they are born unassisted. Tony himself had an 86 lb birth weight. The majority of his calves are born in the 75-85 lb realm. A few years back, a breeder nearby us used Murray Grey bulls over 100 commercial heifers. We received a call the following year, saying that he never had to pull a single calf! It was a first for him.
0 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Return to “Breeds Board”