Charolais bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Charolais bull

Postby Bullitt » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 pm

BRYANT wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:charolais calves sell for maybe 5 dollars a hundred less than black calves

I saw a group of 6 steers. come in the sale today 400 weights all would match great other than 1 char. the others were angus they said they would hold one if buyer wanted them to. They brought 1.92 per pound and he said hold the Char. They then sold it and it brought 2.07 per pound

saw some Char. cross Longhorn heifers they were 450 lbs. Yellow and white with yellow spots and some had 4 inch horns 1.42 per pound

I keep saying there is money to be made by crossing Texas Longhorn cows with a Charolais bull. I think the heifers from that cross could then be crossed with a black Angus bull or a Brangus bull to get a good three-way cross that would sell very well.

A person can start cheaply with some Texas Longhorn cows and build the herd from there.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 am

MtnCows93 wrote:yea in in nc, and theres another reason im wanting a charolais bull but i wont say it on here because someone will chew my butt. ive also been watching the calves from another guys operation and he runs angus cows and charolais bulls in about 50 different farms around the area, hes one of the biggest farmers around so maybe he knows something i dont

Top cowman in our area runs Angus and Chars. Weans off some monsters. Here's a pic from November '17.

2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rollinhills » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 am

Bullitt wrote:
BRYANT wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:charolais calves sell for maybe 5 dollars a hundred less than black calves

I saw a group of 6 steers. come in the sale today 400 weights all would match great other than 1 char. the others were angus they said they would hold one if buyer wanted them to. They brought 1.92 per pound and he said hold the Char. They then sold it and it brought 2.07 per pound

saw some Char. cross Longhorn heifers they were 450 lbs. Yellow and white with yellow spots and some had 4 inch horns 1.42 per pound

I keep saying there is money to be made by crossing Texas Longhorn cows with a Charolais bull. I think the heifers from that cross could then be crossed with a black Angus bull or a Brangus bull to get a good three-way cross that would sell very well.

A person can start cheaply with some Texas Longhorn cows and build the herd from there.

Why don’t you get some longhorns and give it a whirl, then you can tell how much money can be made.
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Sounds to me that is what Bullitt is thinking out loud about doing and just needs a little positive reinforcement
to pull the trigger. No experience here with long horns, so I can't offer any.
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

rollinhills wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
BRYANT wrote:I saw a group of 6 steers. come in the sale today 400 weights all would match great other than 1 char. the others were angus they said they would hold one if buyer wanted them to. They brought 1.92 per pound and he said hold the Char. They then sold it and it brought 2.07 per pound

Why don’t you get some longhorns and give it a whirl, then you can tell how much money can be made.

The subject of Longhorns crossed with Char. has been discuss, debated, and some might would have even got into a fist fight if they had been face to face with each other. They are kind of like Brahmans some like them, some hate them, some places they do well, other places it sounds as if they don't. I sold a heifer this week that was out of a Longhorn/Brahman cross cow and a Angus bull and it was frosted up and showed a lot of longhorn, first time her calf was not solid black. the calf weighed 385 and brought 1.40 but if I had a pasture full of these cows I would breed them to a Char. and I would not mind to have a pasture full of them she is a easy keeper a breeds back fast.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Sounds to me that is what Bullitt is thinking out loud about doing and just needs a little positive reinforcement
to pull the trigger. No experience here with long horns, so I can't offer any.

He's gonna have to pull up the anchor first, cause it seems to be hung on a stump.. :cowboy:
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:yea in in nc, and theres another reason im wanting a charolais bull but i wont say it on here because someone will chew my butt. ive also been watching the calves from another guys operation and he runs angus cows and charolais bulls in about 50 different farms around the area, hes one of the biggest farmers around so maybe he knows something i dont

Top cowman in our area runs Angus and Chars. Weans off some monsters. Here's a pic from November '17.

some money makers right there....
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

some money makers right there....

He does well. They are sold off the farm by the pot load.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 pm

yea BRYANT them calves sold good, if the heifer calves weighed 450 i wonder what their mama weighed? around here the longhorn cows weigh 500 to 700 usually they are small
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”