Gcreekrch Ranch Pictures

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Gcreekrch Ranch Pictures

Postby gcreekrch » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

wbvs58 wrote:Dave, do you have any photos of that open grazing country in the middle of winter for comparison. Hard for someone like me to believe you only get to use that grazing country for half the year.

Do you use that hook on the bike to grab the calves to tag them? Do the mommas come running?

Ken

I can send Ron a couple of pics. We graze one saved area after weaning until too much snow, cold too long or they run out of grass and we start feeding. Last year this was Dec. 23. Making for 150 day feeding period. Other areas of BC have considerably shorter feeding periods and yet more feed 200 days.

I can usually catch newborns without my hook but it makes doctoring a lot easier and quieter than roping them. One cow yesterday complained a bit. We all parted unscathed and the calf still got treated.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 17, 2018 12:32 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Dave, do you have any photos of that open grazing country in the middle of winter for comparison. Hard for someone like me to believe you only get to use that grazing country for half the year.

Do you use that hook on the bike to grab the calves to tag them? Do the mommas come running?

Ken

I can send Ron a couple of pics. We graze one saved area after weaning until too much snow, cold too long or they run out of grass and we start feeding. Last year this was Dec. 23. Making for 150 day feeding period. Other areas of BC have considerably shorter feeding periods and yet more feed 200 days.

I can usually catch newborns without my hook but it makes doctoring a lot easier and quieter than roping them. One cow yesterday complained a bit. We all parted unscathed and the calf still got treated.

0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Ken

West end of C2 Meadow on January 6, last 3 bulls in.

Neighbor's meadow Dec 27.

Winter rustling, just starting to feed, Dec 23.
2 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks again Ron.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 17, 2018 2:09 pm

gcreekrch wrote:Thanks again Ron.

Pleased to do it.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 pm

It makes the landscape just so different, wouldn't think they are the same block of land.

Ken
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu May 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Beautiful cattle , beautiful country , jealous .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 am

wbvs58 wrote:It makes the landscape just so different, wouldn't think they are the same block of land.

Ken

Our winter is your drought to some extent.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 18, 2018 5:04 am

gcreekrch wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:It makes the landscape just so different, wouldn't think they are the same block of land.

Ken

hard to imagine anything worst than drought...until now lol..i will say its a whole lot prettier than a drought.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 am

gcreekrch wrote:

Ken

We've had a few winters with a lot of snow, blizzards and the ground covered for most of 3 months and I don't like it. With that being said I've been thinking recently would I rather have that of the drought and never ending fires that we've had over much of this region this year. Fortunately we've had rain to help our grass recover many haven't. And they are feeding every bite and no fences left. We are hoping to start rebuilding ours soon. So a downside to every environmental event but at least you don't have to rebuild fences and structures when the winter is over. Pretty pics and great cattle.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri May 18, 2018 8:55 am

elkwc wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Ken

We've had a few winters with a lot of snow, blizzards and the ground covered for most of 3 months and I don't like it. With that being said I've been thinking recently would I rather have that of the drought and never ending fires that we've had over much of this region this year. Fortunately we've had rain to help our grass recover many haven't. And they are feeding every bite and no fences left. We are hoping to start rebuilding ours soon. So a downside to every environmental event but at least you don't have to rebuild fences and structures when the winter is over. Pretty pics and great cattle.

Thank you, as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home".

No dust, bugs or bears for us during the winter. It does have it's merits.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”