An Ironhide

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

An Ironhide

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm

This is a bull I sold to a User on this board. Sold as a cow and calf pair. The calf was born in September 2017. He took possession I think in February. Calf is sired by Ironhide. I am posting a picture he sent me. I will not identify him as some folks may not want to have their name associated with my cattle. Lol. But this boy is a beast. Buyer said he is 1000 pounds at 9 months.

Edited to add: I don't know if he is being grained but suspect he is.

Edit 2: owner just text me. He is on grass and 10 pounds of feed per day.
4 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: An Ironhide

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.
0 x
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm

What frame are the calves?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Nice stout calf. I flushed a cow to him but didn’t get any pretty disappointed :cry2:
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

kenny thomas wrote:What frame are the calves?

Depends on the cow. Ironhide is a beast. Probably 6.5. But he puts a lot of flesh on it.
0 x
Diogenes.

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:57 pm

I thought genex had him as a 6 in there book. The ones we have had aren’t overly tall but stout as heck.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Franke wrote:I thought genex had him as a 6 in there book. The ones we have had aren’t overly tall but stout as heck.

I was guessing. 6 sounds right.
0 x
Diogenes.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Hope that straightens things up....
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Well. We all can't be perfect. Oh great one!!!
0 x
Diogenes.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Being a Genex delegate, I know my bulls.....!!!!! lol
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:

Being a Genex delegate, I know my bulls.....!!!!! lol

You didn't have to be rude. :lol:
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

In the case of Ironhide - it was an accident. Unless one of the cows was mad at him.
1 x
Diogenes.

Franke
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Franke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Grass lunnings sold a flush on an ironhide cow this February and she had a beautiful udder on her so I think if cows are culled it won’t be because of that.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”