The most popular beef breeds in Canada

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: The most popular beef breeds in Canada

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Aaron wrote:Hereford/Angus/Charolais are the local top breeds. Everything else is relatively rare. A few Simmental herds.

How are Char x feeders priced?

What kind of Simis so you see?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:16 am

CharX's top markets in the east, out into ontario, the bigger the better.

Sims - More blacks in the east, but either solid reds or blacks. Out west you see more fleck coloured.

Hardly see a hereford around here any more. I don't miss seeing em either.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:38 am

Not many Char Xs here and they tend to get slightly discounted. Can be the most profitable stockers - - lower purchase price and superior ADG.
Straight Herfs get hammered. A few of the right kind do OK but smaller frame or flat muscled ones as hard to sell. Can be profitable to buy as cows and breed black.
A few Fleck colored, sometimes horned, which also get hammered. Can be profitable to buy as cows and breed black.
A lot of moderate black sim angus which can top the feeder market. Red simi x cows can top the market, but only as certain sales. My red sim angus were 20# heavier than the blacks last winter, but sold for $12/head less. They made money for the feed lot.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Hereford/Angus/Charolais are the local top breeds. Everything else is relatively rare. A few Simmental herds.

How are Char x feeders priced?

What kind of Simis so you see?

Char X feeders ring the bell many times. Simmi's are either Fleck or Red. No black Simmi's around here at all. As I have said before, guys really do not like black cows here. Very few straight Angus herds. Far more Char and Hereford herds. And Red Angus.

Was talking to auctioneer from Manitoba this spring and guys are really shying away from the black cattle unless they are top notch. Everything is black, so guys don't know what to expect when feeding them. At least they know for sure when you have a Fleck Simmi, or Char of Hereford in the pen.

Lots of demand for 'good' Herefords. Nillson Bros in Alberta feed 80,000 straight Herefords at one of their yards. 40,000 steers on one side of the road and 40,000 heifers on the other side.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Thats a lot of cattle...can't imagine taking care of that many, even with hired hands..my little herd drives me crazy..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Was talking to auctioneer from Manitoba this spring and guys are really shying away from the black cattle unless they are top notch. Everything is black, so guys don't know what to expect when feeding them. At least they know for sure when you have a Fleck Simmi, or Char of Hereford in the pen.

Lots of demand for 'good' Herefords. Nillson Bros in Alberta feed 80,000 straight Herefords at one of their yards. 40,000 steers on one side of the road and 40,000 heifers on the other side.

The challenge with many blacks in the dairy states is you seldom know the Holstein percentage. I guess they are continental crosses of a sort. ;-)

Is the Nillson process optimitzed differently since they only feed Herefords?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hoser » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 am

Nesikep wrote:
Hoser wrote:The first 4 breeds are all we need.

Nah, Gelbvieh definitely has its place in there.. I like them better than the Limos for sure

You're right, I should have included Gelbvieh. I have a few balancer cows who wean some very impressive calves.
0 x

Hoser
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hoser » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:44 am

This heifer for example.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”