Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Something I've been thinking about lately is why is there so much emphasis placed on the rump of a beef cow. Maybe I'm wrong but It seems like the very best and most valuable cuts of beef are along the topside of the animal. I hear a lot of people criticizing the rump of an animal calling them "hatchet azzed" but I ask myself why does this matter when it is just the round and I thought this was a low grade of beef. I've never heard anyone bragging about their round steaks, and round roasts are not very expensive. I'm sure I'm missing something.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Postby Nesikep » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I've found when they have a nice butt they usually have a nice back too.. in any case more meat is better than more bone and leather
8 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:20 pm

In my family growing up one of if not my favorite meal was round steak with mashed potatoes and gravy over both. May not be the most expensive cuts but it sure is good in my book.
As far as the appearance of cattle I have always appreciated the rumps of good Limousin cattle. To me it just makes them look like they are healthy and will weigh more.
1 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 pm

I believe the rump makes up 22% of the cut-out, and is 90% lean, so any meat on the rump weighs more.

Like a wise man once said. "Big butts, means Big bucks!"
5 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:I believe the rump makes up 22% of the cut-out, and is 90% lean, so any meat on the rump weighs more.

Makes sense, and I can believe it, but I wonder if a smaller rumped animal with a wider topside would have more value to a producer who was selling freezer beef.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:I believe the rump makes up 22% of the cut-out, and is 90% lean, so any meat on the rump weighs more.

Makes sense, and I can believe it, but I wonder if a smaller rumped animal with a wider topside would have more value to a producer who was selling freezer beef.

Maybe if you were cutting out every part, and sell it by the cut, like at the grocery store. Just selling whole though on the rail or live, the rump and chuck have the most value, only due to their weight % compared to the other cuts. Most producers would not get the value out of more loin, and rib cuts. So more rump would be desired.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm

I like them flat and wide across the top and carry their thickness out to the pins. I was looking at a pic of a heifer at the recent Jr Hereford National show. She had a teepee top and a V taper from the hooks to the pins. Not sure how she placed but in my view she lacked what I desire. Another thing I've found if they have some natural thickness throughout they tend to be structurally sound. I recently looked at a top AI sire in the Hereford breed that was a champion and his hind legs touched when he stood still and rubbed as he walked. Not what I prefer. When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.
2 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:58 pm

Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........
When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.

Yep.
Total package is what counts. Thick/wide/long /big butt.
4 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:26 pm

greybeard wrote:Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........
When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.

Yep.

+1
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:48 am

On equally conditioned animals is there any data that accurately proves that the nicely rounded rump actually weighs more than one with less than desirable outward visual shape???

Ken
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 am

greybeard wrote:Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........

Yep.

There is no such thing a chicken fried except chicken. Food is fried , grilled , smoked and plenty of other cooking methods. Fried cube steak can be country fried but that's it . It's like that flock of chickens out there that doesn't have Bones .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 am

[quote="greybeard"]Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........
wheres the taters.?
2 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:54 am

More rump equals more muscle ...more muscle equals more meat..
2 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:56 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:More rump equals more muscle ...more muscle equals more meat..

+1
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 am

M-5 wrote:

Yep.

There is no such thing a chicken fried except chicken. Food is fried , grilled , smoked and plenty of other cooking methods. Fried cube steak can be country fried but that's it . It's like that flock of chickens out there that doesn't have Bones .

I bread mine and fry it just like chicken. And have been told that is where the chicken fried term comes from. Works for me. They will always be chicken fried to me.
1 x

Return to “Breeds Board”