Angus breeders

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus breeders

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Here is a list of prices - scroll down & you will find the Genetic Defect DNA costs.
http://www.simmental.org/site/userimage ... ion_FM.pdf
I scrolled around the site and I could not find a specific page telling you what/how you need to test commercial cows for upgrading. When I started upgrading, there were no known Genetic Defects that needed to be tested for. Now, I know Angus, Chi, Shorthorn, Maine, etc have listed defects that need to be tested for.
Once a dam is tested, she doesn't need to be tested again, so she can produce registerable half blood calves each year.
For those that have registered half blood Simmental calves out of commercial cows, what is the process? Do you send in the paper work to register and then they require DNA testing?
Sounds stupid for me to be asking, but I have been PB for so long, I don't know the procedure.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Here is a list of prices - scroll down & you will find the Genetic Defect DNA costs.
http://www.simmental.org/site/userimage ... ion_FM.pdf
I scrolled around the site and I could not find a specific page telling you what/how you need to test commercial cows for upgrading. When I started upgrading, there were no known Genetic Defects that needed to be tested for. Now, I know Angus, Chi, Shorthorn, Maine, etc have listed defects that need to be tested for.
Once a dam is tested, she doesn't need to be tested again, so she can produce registerable half blood calves each year.
For those that have registered half blood Simmental calves out of commercial cows, what is the process? Do you send in the paper work to register and then they require DNA testing?
Sounds stupid for me to be asking, but I have been PB for so long, I don't know the procedure.

I don't know either. Maybe Fire Sweep does. It seems like I went through this in one case. It is initiated by ASA. When you submit a registration request, if it requires a test for a genetic defect, they will provide notification before the registration is accepted.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I have looked at the ASA website a lot here lately and can’t find a definitive answer. I wanna make sure I’m making the right decisions from the start and not causing myself more headaches down the road.

I’m sure someone here will come along that has some experience with this.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Here is the latest DNA pricing info:
New Genetic Condition Panel Pricing
"The Genetic Conditions Panel is undergoing changes to include all 7 of the genetic defects tracked by the American Simmental Association. These defects are: AM, NH, CA, DD, OS, PHA, and TH. The new Genetic Conditions Panel will only be available with GGP-LD or GGP-HD testing and the add on price for the panel will be $25. If the animal is not undergoing a GGP-LD or GGP-HD test, then defect testing will be $25 per defect. If requesting the genetic conditions panel after a GGP-LD or GGP-HD test is complete, then the testing will be billed at single defect rates, which is $25 per defect"

But, I still can't find out how you know whether you need to test and for what???
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:16 pm

try this if your looking to test commercial cattle angus.org/AGI/CommercialTests.aspx
0 x

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:22 am

Till
Take a look at a Schaff sale catalog, if you want to see multi generations by the same breeder.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 am

gizmom wrote:Till
Take a look at a Schaff sale catalog, if you want to see multi generations by the same breeder.

Gizmom

Yes I've very familiar with them. And somehow on a lot of the bulls they keep their inbreeding very low. Bunch of cow families but must take many hours to mate cows correctly!
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I'm not a Angus breeder, but you really need to think a lot of your cattle to feel you can raise better cattle than you can buy. Most if not all small operations are replicators. Most folks can't afford $10k to $100k to buy a quality cow as a starting point for their herd.

No way in heck can I afford a $10K, $20K bull, probably couldn't swing a $5K bull with our super small herd of cattle. However, I can swing $20 semen and someday, if I can convince the wife to give it a shot, I can afford $500 embryos. I think anyone that believes that's the way to start is going to be pushing manure balls uphill for a long time. I've seen a lot of those $100K animals, and honestly they don't do much for me. The brand and papers do a lot more to sell those animals than their appearance does. And there's no way that those animals will pay for themselves when you're a little guy. I've done the math, and I just can't make it work, but I can see how if you had a big production sale AND a lot to background calves that some of those animals would really put some decent money in your pocket IF they panned out like their EPD's say they will.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Bestoutwest - you are so right. So many "new" "breeders" think they can buy into the "game". Nope. You have to pay hard knocks & "earn" a reputation before you can sell high dollar cattle.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”