Gonna add some "ear".

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

andybob
GURU
GURU

Re: Gonna add some "ear".

Postby andybob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Muddy wrote:Ah the sanga vs Brahman thing.....while sanga type cattle do have heat tolerance without any Brahman genetics..... Brahman genetics adds more hybrid vigor, longevity and weaning bigger calves.

The degree of heterosis is similar in pure Sanga crosses as in pure Indicus crosses, longevity is similar, I had 20 year + cows in my stud Tuli herd in Rhodesia, as was the case in the Namibian and Transvaal (South Africa) herds belonging to my in laws. Sanga breeds and composites are also inherently more fertile, and docile. Brahman will give larger weaners than pure Sanga breeds, but not heavier than Bonsmara, and Brahman are more tolerant of some fly species.
1 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:04 pm

I know a guy that runs some heck of a nice F1 brafords right next to some bonsmara cattle down here. I would say both are definitely top of their breed. You can't hardly tell the difference. The hold up the same, handle the same, he runs black angus bulls over them and sells the whole group of calves together. I cant hardly tell the difference of one calf vs the other.

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to. He gets $2000 per weaned F1 heifer and only slightly above slaughter for the bonsmara though.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:32 pm

[quote="Brute 23"]I know a guy that runs some heck of a nice F1 brafords right next to some bonsmara cattle down here. I would say both are definitely top of their breed. You can't hardly tell the difference. The hold up the same, handle the same, he runs black angus bulls over them and sells the whole group of calves together. I cant hardly tell the difference of one calf vs the other.

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to.............Probably simular to the beefmaster temperament..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I know a guy that runs some heck of a nice F1 brafords right next to some bonsmara cattle down here. I would say both are definitely top of their breed. You can't hardly tell the difference. The hold up the same, handle the same, he runs black angus bulls over them and sells the whole group of calves together. I cant hardly tell the difference of one calf vs the other.

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to.............Probably simular to the beefmaster temperament..

Pretty much. 3/4 brahman handle different than pure bloods. Pure bloods are a one of a kind experience in some cases.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Well we made a deal on a Beefmaster bull. I don't know anything about Beefmaster pedigrees but the bull is a grandson of L Bar 5502, from a 30 year Beefmaster breeder.
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Ky hills wrote:Well we made a deal on a Beefmaster bull. I don't know anything about Beefmaster pedigrees but the bull is a grandson of L Bar 5502, from a 30 year Beefmaster breeder.
30 years?? Still in that learning curve :cowboy:that's some foundation blood..https://www.google.com/search?q=Lbar550 ... HPF0FlKbNM:
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Ky hills wrote:Well we made a deal on a Beefmaster bull. I don't know anything about Beefmaster pedigrees but the bull is a grandson of L Bar 5502, from a 30 year Beefmaster breeder.
30 years?? Still in that learning curve :cowboy:that's some foundation blood..https://www.google.com/search?q=Lbar550 ... HPF0FlKbNM:

If I heard him right he did say he had been breeding Beefmasters for 30 years, and he spoke about learning during each decade of it. From what I gathered some of the genetics hadn't worked as well and he started using the foundation blood and it has worked well. The 5502 son that he had that our bull is by was a very impressive looking animal.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Ky hills wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

If I heard him right he did say he had been breeding Beefmasters for 30 years, and he spoke about learning during each decade of it. From what I gathered some of the genetics hadn't worked as well and he started using the foundation blood and it has worked well. The 5502 son that he had that our bull is by was a very impressive looking animal.

Lets see some pics! :)
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Ky hills wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:30 years?? Still in that learning curve :cowboy:that's some foundation blood..https://www.google.com/search?q=Lbar550 ... HPF0FlKbNM:

Lets see some pics! :)

Going to get him later this week, will try to post pictures but haven't been able too for some time now.
1 x

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Here's the difference

Postby Midtenn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Took these shots a couple weeks ago about 5 in the afternoon. It was about 92 and humid. Cows grazing are 1/4 ear. The rest are still in the shade.

0 x

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby smoothmule » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am

I have just a few cows but I Love some ear, a lot of ear. I’m in SW Missouri.
I have No problem selling my calves here.
I have a few Commercial cows, a couple Half Brahman cows and a Fabulous Gyr/Indo Brazilian cow. I’ve been crossing out to Registered Beefmaster bull with great calves. I just had my first full Gyr/Indo calf (heifer!!).

Here is the new heifer

1 x

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby smoothmule » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

Example of my Beefmaster cross calves

3 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:41 am

smoothmule wrote:I have just a few cows but I Love some ear, a lot of ear. I’m in SW Missouri.
I have No problem selling my calves here.
I have a few Commercial cows, a couple Half Brahman cows and a Fabulous Gyr/Indo Brazilian cow. I’ve been crossing out to Registered Beefmaster bull with great calves. I just had my first full Gyr/Indo calf (heifer!!).

Here is the new heifer

She is a looker. Are you going to keep her?
0 x

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby smoothmule » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Definitely a keeper, just starting to develop my herd.
0 x

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby smoothmule » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm

I just have a single cow, bull and now their first calf. Crossing my bull to my commercial cows this year so next year will be interesting. Some of the cows have Beefmaster sire, some are half grade Brahman.

I'm in the process of registering them IZBA.
Mick

0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”